• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OLD Keith Black HEMI-engine: which shop for build?

Which shop?

• the NEW KB-company?

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Ray Barton?

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Bob Mazzolini?

• Marsh Performance?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Arruzza?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mancini?

• FHO (Tim Banning)

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters

TobiasM

Local time
10:25 PM
Reaction score
Hi fellows,

I’ve been offered an old Keith Black 426-HEMI-block, thats needing works (checking measurements, machining, boreing, honeing, new sleeves).

Which shop is the most competent on these old KB-blocks, so that they can build me a complete engine out of it?

Is it “go back to the source” and is the NEW KB-company best choice (do they still care about their old stuff?)?

Or is an independent shop the place to go, like Ray Barton, Bob Mazzolini, Marsh, Arruzza or Mancini?

Thanks for your advice

Ray Barton or Tim at FHO in Ontario Canada. It's a water block? How old, some of those didn't seal well in a street application if that's what you're doing.

One other I’d consider is Mr. Six Pack / Bob Karaksin. Him and Tom Hoover were good friends.

Ray Barton or Tim at FHO in Ontario Canada. It's a water block? How old, some of those didn't seal well in a street application if that's what you're doing.
As I understand it , Tim is in Florida now.

Holy smokes! Traitor! Ha, ha. I'm sure it was a PITA for him dealing crossborder with all the US customers. Not much money left in Canada for these toys anymore.

Well nobody in their right mind would want to live in Bewdley Ontario anyhow...

WE HAVE MOVED!!!​

We are now located at:
1910 Calumet Street, Unit D
Clearwater FL 33765
Phone: (727) 386-5375

@Shop: thanks for your recommendations. Feel free to use the poll, you can vote for multiple shops at once.

@block: sorry, yes it is a water block and intended for street-use. Aluminum block and aluminum heads.

@FHO: thanks for the info, that they are in the US now! Thus I added them to the poll-list, as CDA was not an option for me.

One other I’d consider is Mr. Six Pack / Bob Karaksin. Him and Tom Hoover were good friends.

@Mr. Sixpack: I heard GREAT things of him when it comes to cams. But is he also an engine-builder?

I mean not “just” putting new parts together, but a person who can make things work if they do not. Either out of the box or because of age. And who has all the machines to do honeing, boreing, decking, welding, machining...and knows how to use them?

If so, I will gladly add him to my poll-list.

Mr six pack does complete engines!

I’m not sure on Best Machine. I know he fully details and assembles them and does a very nice job. I would advise to inquire, machinists are falling by the wayside unfortunately it seems. Quality ones are always busy it seems.

Hi fellows,

I’ve been offered an old Keith Black 426-HEMI-block, thats needing works (checking measurements, machining, boreing, honeing, new sleeves).

Which shop is the most competent on these old KB-blocks, so that they can build me a complete engine out of it?

Is it “go back to the source” and is the NEW KB-company best choice (do they still care about their old stuff?)?

Or is an independent shop the place to go, like Ray Barton, Bob Mazzolini, Marsh, Arruzza or Mancini?

Thanks for your advice
May be by the time u do all the work it might cost more than a good cast steel block?

Thanks and you‘re probably right @blown away …but I would really like to have an aluminium-block and of those I prefer the KB.

Anyway, no deal was made back then and I keep looking for the right oppertunity.

I’m not sure on Best Machine. I know he fully details and assembles them and does a very nice job. I would advise to inquire, machinists are falling by the wayside unfortunately it seems. Quality ones are always busy it seems.
Thankfully, they're outta business.

So you are talking about like an old single cross bolt main KB Stage III from the late '70s? Getting pretty hard to find parts for those, last I checked the sleeves were made to order only and pretty long lead time.

Have you considered Ed Pink Engines? They used to work on and have a ton of that old KB stuff unless they junked it all.

If you are serious about getting a Hemi, you might just consider getting new from Ray Barton, it would likely be a lot easier and possibly cheaper with a guaranteed motor.

You're in Germany? There must be competent machine shops there, somewhere.
There are lots of fast cars running in England too, out of Santa Pod. Someone there must be doing competent work.
I don't think you should have to ship it here.

Auto Transport Service
Back