• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old school C/FX- 65 Plymouth

toolmanmike

Henchman #2
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:26 AM
Reaction score

Attachments

• $(KGrHqR,!oIFJLER23G9BSWc64gEbw~~60_57.JPG
    $(KGrHqR,!oIFJLER23G9BSWc64gEbw~~60_57.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 693
TMM wondering what's the finish on your car satin or flat??

That one made me smile! Actually it's the original paint covered with lacquer and aged for 45+ years. I really need to take it apart and get it painted. tmm

Attachments

• 014 (2).jpg
    014 (2).jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 474
  • 031 (2).jpg
    031 (2).jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 505
I love it !! don't paint she looks beautiful !! even better being the original paint !!!

Very nice pics of your cool Dart Toolmanmike ! I have a bunch of pics around of my old 66 Dart that I need to dig up. I really felt out of the early A-body Darts from 63 to 66 that the 66 was by far the best looking as I feel it has the best looking front end of all the early A-body Darts. Thats why when I got the chance to get my 66 Dart in 1974 I jumped at it. It had a blown 273 and I put my 273 that I built in it. Then I dropped a 340 in it and went racing with my 340 four speed 66 Dart and ran a best of 11.94 @ 113 before I rolled it 6 times in 1982 which was the worst day of my life. I really did like that Dart. Now I gotta find the older pics. This pic is at Cecil County dragway in about 1980. Ron

125204012.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here is another pic in my driveway as the green 67 Cuda in the backround was my older brothers car. Our cars were very close as my 340 had about 11.0 comp and his had 12.5 comp. My Crower cam had .510 & .500 lift with 284 & 300 advertised duration and his had .510 lift and 300 duration on both lobes. At first both were 4 speeds but to be honest my brother was not as good as me in driving the 4 speed on the track and he switched to an auto. His Cuda ended up running a best of 11.89 with the auto and it had 4.88 gears to my Darts 4.56's. And the Cuda was stripped to be a bit lighter then the Dart and it ended up being just a few hundreths faster. One day we did race each other and my brother in the Cuda ran 12.09 to my Darts 12.11 as it was a time trail race and I had the holeshot as we crossed the stripe dead even and guess what ? The win lights were broke that weekend so we dont know who actually won and we still fight about it to this day ! LoL. Not bragging or anything and my brother will admit that he just was not as agressive as me in driving the stick car. Many days we shared a trailer and would just take one car to the track and share driving. Well in his Cuda about the third time we raced it he ran a best of 12.81 and I knew I could go faster in it. I told him let me drive as it was his turn that day but I could just hear he was not launching as hard as I do and he was not power shifting like I did. No joking here but after his 12.81 I jumped in his car and ran 12.20 and 12.22 ! After he drove it again he best of the day was 12.79 to my 12.20. He decided to go auto after that. I am not knocking on my brother or trying to brag but its just like that sometimes as I drive a car hard at the track and he just could not get with it like I did even when I told him to leave at higher rpm and leave the go pedal on the floor all the way down the track. One other driver asked me what rpm I launch at and I told him .....floored ? He says what did you say ......four grand ? and I said no Floored !! I just told him I wing it up to about 5 to 6000 rpm as the lites come down and then just put it on the floor as the clutch comes out. I really loved racing the four speed stick car but the downfall is I broke more parts and I mean way more parts in that 11.90 Dart with a 340 then I have in my 10.70 Sport Fury with a 493 in it because my 63 is an auto. I can drive just as agressive with the auto but it does not shock the driveline like the stick car does and I like to drive a stick car as hard as I can. Ron

125204052.jpg

Love those old photos and stories. You had a real nice Dart and your brother had a cool Barracuda as well. It's too bad you crashed your Dart and lucky you're still here to tell the story. tmm

There's a thread going on FABO discussing a 65 Plymouth A-990 car switched to a C/FX
car by using a hot dual quad 273. I am a early B body fan as well as a big 273 fan. Pretty interesting read. tmm

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=289084

Cool thread, back in my racing days I used to call ole Dick Maxwell every Monday morning for all the latest do's and do nots. (By the way I heard he was killed last summer in a motorcycle accident.)

Auto Transport Service
Back