• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old Torsion Bar Installation Question

Bob Nossal

Dodgefor72
Local time
4:27 PM
Reaction score
Torsion bars are marked on each end as L or R so no question about which side. I do have a question about orientation. Is there a front to back? I’ve read different opinions.

Also I’ve prepared to install them following all the norms. Removed the bump stops. Backed out the adjusting bolts. Suspension is hanging. Pivot nuts and bushings are loose. Yet the front hex of the bar is misaligned to the LCA socket by a few degrees...maybe 5-10...just enough so the bar won’t slip in. Any tips would be appreciated.

factory correct is part # to the rear 812/813 for example. L and R is usually on the front end.

Adjuster levers in the LCA should be down about flush in the LCA's when installing. You'd have to be a long way off to get them wrong, since each flat is 60 degrees.

Sometimes I remove the adjuster bolt and bar to allow the socket to turn a little further. Some shock absorbers can be a little short on extended length and that will also make it difficult.

Front to back makes no difference in the way they work, they are always loading up in the same direction.

Of course you're going to have to move the adjustment lever/socket to align with the bar hex. Chances are slim that it just happens to be in the exact orientation to slip right in...
beerestoration2018 033.JPG

Loosen top shock nut.

dadsbee...It seems that when I rotate the adjusting arm or the control arm that the socket is not rotating. I'll get into again after work today. You pic reflects my situation perfectly.

Well I can tell you if that socket is not rotating when you move the adjusting lever then you have a major problem !!

Auto Transport Service
Back