• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Older 727 Shift Conversion

Ron H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:19 AM
Reaction score
I posted about this sometime ago and thought I'd toss out another in case there's more to be learned. I have a '63 727 button shift and these earlier year TF trans didn't have downshifting capability unless flooring the pedal that came out in later TF's. There are kits available to make a conversion to obtain 2-3 downshift at around half throttle. Wondering if those having done this have any tips pro or con? Thanks.

Sorry...not any help here. It's been way too many years ago.

My first, a 63 Sport Fury, same stock trans, was the first thing that needed 'help'. Slipping some on shifts. To a trans shop, telling me it just needed the bands adjusted, and with a wink, wink, wanna make the shifts better. Go for it, the added slight adjustment. A real kicker!
Had copies of the hot rod mags back then, detailed instructions for mods on them.

Trying to remember, pretty sure mine did kick-downs, all in all, at the right times. Only went in that trans once, to put new clutches in. (Probably some of those magazine mods, too.)

I installed a B&M shift kit several years ago and set it up to a medium-hard shift as opposed to the most harsh setup and this generates a break in the tires btw gears when under an aggressive shift manually or under full throttle (without manual shifting) due to quicker shift. Adjusted the kickdown to create a delayed 1st to 2nd shift; but this adjustment is limited. Only can do so much unless doing more radical mod's with this era tranny. The shift kits I'm finding will create a downshift ability between 2nd & 3rd under less throttle pressure which would be nice without having to open the secondary's when climbing hills or wanting more giddyup without flooring it. The mod's require mating a later vb with the older to do this; but have heard about other methods as well. Thought if anyone has done this what they found nice or not about it.

If you're looking for the part throttle kickdown that later transmissions had, the pre-'67 transmission can't be retrofitted.

If you're looking for the part throttle kickdown that later transmissions had, the pre-'67 transmission can't be retrofitted.
I used to think this was the deal too, until coming across a 'kit' that comes with upper later VB to mate with the original. Was wondering if anyone had made this switch to find out if it does what it says it can..

The pushbutton, Torqueflight 8 has kickdown. It's rather sensitive as where it will come in by the kickdown linkage adjustment. Also mph has a big effect on it. The faster you're traveling the less of a chance it will happen. Anything over 50-55 mph it probably won't kick down from 3rd to 2nd. This will also take place from 2nd to 1st at a much slower speed.

When setting my shift points by means of the pressure exerted by the linkage rod, the shorter adjustments had kickdown but the shift points were too quick for my liking. The longer the adjustment, the shift points were where they needed to be but the downshift went away.

I have no problem selecting the second gear button if I want a downshift, only if it's below 50 mph.

There's other internal adjustments if the kickdown isn't functioning. Kickdown band adjustment, kickdown servo, proper cable adjustment.

Last edited:
Sure pressing da button gets the downshift and also can give you your desired shift 'points' when upshifting and it's a neat thing having the button shifter aside from a four speed (my 1st like). As you know the auto shift points are fast; you're in 3rd gear around 25MPH and will stay there unless flooring it. So the kit I mention is supposed to give you an auto downshift at around 1/2 or so throttle. Only way I've heard about this being done is to mate a later VB to the trans.

Only way I've heard about this being done is to mate a later VB to the trans.
Never have heard about that one. Push button vs the later 727s, the later ones only have one pump. Guess it doesn't make any dif.
Mods I kinda remember, were all on the shift body steel plate. Drilling out certain holes, and tossing one or two check balls over your shoulder. Dang I'm gettin' old!

Never have heard about that one. Push button vs the later 727s, the later ones only have one pump. Guess it doesn't make any dif.
Mods I kinda remember, were all on the shift body steel plate. Drilling out certain holes, and tossing one or two check balls over your shoulder. Dang I'm gettin' old!
lol ...this reminds me of the shift kit work that needed doing ball bearing and a drilling a hole..

I used to think this was the deal too, until coming across a 'kit' that comes with upper later VB to mate with the original.

Sure, but with a later VB on the early transfer plate it's not a pre-'67 anymore.

The swap involves using a '67-'68 only VB casting with some mods.

As you know the auto shift points are fast; you're in 3rd gear around 25MPH and will stay there unless flooring it.

You should be able to get better shift points than that. You have to play with the kickdown linkage. With such a short patteren as that, you need to lenthen the rod. It's in very small increments, like 1/8" at a time until you get what you want. The FSM states the trans leaver should be all the way back at wide open throttle. That's a starting point, then you need to fine tune it. Some have a little more play in the trans leaver than others.

Mine was 1,2,3 before 25 mph when I first had it on the road. I lengthened it and lengthened it, then it started to make a difference. Acually went too far once and had to shorten it up a little.

I would work on that adjustment first before doing any other mods. It might affect your end results if you don't.

Thanks for the tips guys. I had played with the kickdown rod and have this out as far as it will go - it's (VB lever) pert near full back with WOT. I had thought this mostly influenced the upshift from 1st to 2nd (it did a bit) though nothing to be had beyond this or impacting a downshift far as I know anyway. Well, a walking mopar encyclopedia is stopping by my place Friday I met at a car show last Feb as he said he didn't quite like the setup with that rod and a couple other things he suggested checking out on my rebuilt poly. On another note speaking of the show, I got featured at the show by a guy, Lou Constable, who travels the country videoing cars; he did a video of my car. Geez he has featured some awesome cars a lot of mopars. Can't post the link to hyper link, my bad, but it's under his site '1963 Fury Convertible in gray'. Man I look like crap; but the car showed a little better than I did...

I got featured at the show by a guy, Lou Constable

Here ya go Ron. Sweet '63 for sure :thumbsup:

Your kickdown set up looks exactly like mine with the Eddy adapter and same type of kickdown rod. As long as it's not hitting on the firewall that's the way it's suppose to be. Wouldn't change a thing.

Last edited:
Here ya go Ron. Sweet '63 for sure :thumbsup:

Your kickdown set up looks exactly like mine with the Eddy adapter and same type of kickdown rod. As long as it's not hitting on the firewall that's the way it's suppose to be. Wouldn't change a thing.

Thanks MUCH!

I got invited to the show by the body shop that did the paint; great family owned shop, nicest people ya'd wanna meet. The owner has several cherry cars including the '55 Chev next to mine and another customer's awesome black Charger parked in our spot. Lou saw me drive it in as he was packing up and asked the shop owner about the car wanting to video it before he left. Nice perk I didn't expect. Had to take a whole bunch of **** out of the trunk so he could look at that. I took 1st place in my category...but ahh...mine was the only early B mopar in the show. Funny...Lou is a personable guy and warned me not to swear during the take or it would be over, lol. His usual prep I guess. And for the color change (used to be white) as the shop was all set to repaint it, my brother was along saying ya gotta give it a new color and the owner laughed saying we can do that. So he gave me some 150 gray color chips to pick from! I had to laugh thinking about the flick '50 shades of gray' hell coulda said 150 shades! As it ended up, the 1st chip I pulled out after staring at all the others was the choice and kinda nice as it is a Chrysler factory color from around 2010 I recollect. I focused on the shade trying to give the red trim the best pop. Now I just need to find a shop to make me cute again...

Auto Transport Service
Back