• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

oldsmobile rocket?

belvedere 67

Local time
8:14 AM
Reaction score
i was at a local junkyard the other day and I came across a pair of late 40's jeep panel truck. The bodys are junk but I popped the hood one one of them and low and behold theres a oldsmoblie rocket motor with no transmission. I dont know what size or what year. The valve covers are gold with oldsmobile rocket script. I didnt have a breaker bar to see if its locked up or not. Are these worth anything? I maybe able able to get the whole jeep fairly cheap.

Should be a 350 cu in "big block" Olds motor. Very torque-y with good horsepower too.

Rat rod guys love them. Check “the HAMB” on jalopyjournal.com

Be ready for a lot of childish uneducated comments over there (for the most part)

Should be a 350 cu in "big block" Olds motor. Very torque-y with good horsepower too.
Yep, had a 70 Cutless with a 350 rocket. Reliable engine that will hold it's own on the street. I have no idea what they are going for now though

I believe a girl in high school had an Olds 350 rocket 2 bbl. I don't know much about them other than seeing a 2 bbl. on top of one I thought it was "marketing hype".... I could be wrong on that though

I had a 1966 98 with a 425 rocket

Air cleaner lid said "10.25:1 compression use premium fuel only"

IIRC all olds engines were called rocket after a certain date, but the "original" rocket v8s of the late 40's and 50's are the ones coveted by hot rodders

The original Rocket engines from the 50's were 330 ci's. My Aunt had one and it would skoot. You may have found one...cr8crshr/Tuck:usflag::usflag::usflag:

My very first car was a 66 Olds Dynamic 88 with a 330 Rocket Ultra High Compression Engine. I bought it from my buddy in 1978 for $35 because it got hit in the rear and he was going to junk it. I drove it for 6 months. I think it was only running on 5 or 6 cylinders but I didn't care or know better. It gave us a place to hang out in the winter when it was freezing out (the heat worked great) !!!!

I remember my dad having 2 Gutless's, growing up. They were probably in the range of 1970 - 80, but both body styles were the same from what I remember as I was about 6.

One was Yellow with a Black interior & the other was Blue with a White interior.

My 1st car was a 67 Cutlass ragtop. 330- 2 low comp with Muncie 4sp/Hurst and 3.42 gear.
My brother had the 330-4 auto and I could run off from him. If I could keep it hooked up.

Last edited:
The first Oldsmobile Rocket V-8 engine was the 1949 303 cubic inch, rated at 135 hp and 283 lb.ft of torgue.
Yes, they are high compression (old school power) and in a Cutlass geared right would run close to the 455s!
Here's a blast from the past:
https://www.cheatsheet.com/automobiles/oldsmobile-rallye-350-why-theres-no-muscle-car-like-it.html/

Actually, the H/C 350 with low gears (4.11s) was more than a second slower, 13.46 at 105 mph verses the 455's 12.58 at 111.05. That's enough room to run a freight train through...lol.

Auto Transport Service
Back