• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

On a diet

bearman

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:27 AM
Reaction score
Just want to give malex a big shout out and thank you. Putting my 64 440 on a diet and malex sent me over to aar fiberglass for bumpers. Well they showed up today and were in great shape. Just got to prep for paint now going to make up some aluminum brackets and the old girl is starting to loose some weight. Thank you again malex.

I have to shout out to mirilax for,the same goal - lose weight......

Aar good place to work with sent both in one package and a nice job of packing. Plus they told me two weeks and it was two weeks to the day.

Just want to give malex a big shout out and thank you. Putting my 64 440 on a diet and malex sent me over to aar fiberglass for bumpers. Well they showed up today and were in great shape. Just got to prep for paint now going to make up some aluminum brackets and the old girl is starting to loose some weight. Thank you again malex.
Thought you might like to see what I did, instead of making (or buying) aluminum bumper brackets....
Here are pixs of my stock steel front bumper brackets BEFORE AND AFTER I modified them to lose weight.

I lightened up my REAR bumper brackets in a similar fashion.

The last pix shows all of the metal I removed from all 4 brackets.

On the REAR brackets I actually cut away ONE HALF of the bracket...the halfs that I cut away are shown in the picture.
The modified brackets are very, very light now...probably not much more than aluminum brackets and they cost me nothing.

20180111_102215.jpg 20180126_132916.jpg 20180129_143114.jpg

Wow great idea let me look at mine maybe I can go that way instead of making new ones.now do you still use the bumper bolts from the outside or do you do like malex. Thank you I can see after removing all the extra they would be pretty light and no cost is even better.

Now you've gone down the worm hole. You would be amazed at how much weight you can pull. Mine is all steel including bumpers, except hood. Two batteries, mega block, caged from nose to tail. 3110 w/o me dry. 3340 ready to race full fuel.
Doug

Like to have play car to do this kinda stuff with, but no offense to all you guys but your really kinda cheap, never offer to give me a hemi car, a12 car, or a maxie. For years now i have been told i have white privilege so someone needs to step up and give me what i i truly deserve... Oh wait only people of color get that

Well for the next part of the diet will be the k member. Then my relocation kit will be here in next week. A little nervous about doing that job but it's got to be done for what I need.

Thought you might like to see what I did, instead of making (or buying) aluminum bumper brackets....
Here are pixs of my stock steel front bumper brackets BEFORE AND AFTER I modified them to lose weight.

I lightened up my REAR bumper brackets in a similar fashion.

The last pix shows all of the metal I removed from all 4 brackets.

On the REAR brackets I actually cut away ONE HALF of the bracket...the halfs that I cut away are shown in the picture.
The modified brackets are very, very light now...probably not much more than aluminum brackets and they cost me nothing.

View attachment 636745 View attachment 636748 View attachment 636749
Done a lot of stuff like that over the years!! Also, hit every bolt you can. If it has extra threads showing, fix it. Anyone who has ever parted a car knows how many nuts and bolts a car has and how much weight they amass. I've even gun drilled non critical fasteners and used aluminum or plastic fasteners. Some of the critical fasteners like K-frame bolts were gun drilled using a smaller drill bit but considering their mass, going with a smaller bit probably wasn't needed. K frames get attention too. Several of y'all already know some of the things I do to get rid of excess weight....including punching holes everywhere that doesn't show.

Cranky, doing up k member like Doug gives me room and more diet. Will be drilling and loosing weight from hood and trunk frames. The fasteners is a great idea going to look at this.

Well for the next part of the diet will be the k member. Then my relocation kit will be here in next week. A little nervous about doing that job but it's got to be done for what I need.
bearman the factory front bumper and brackets weigh a ton on a 64 dodge. I spent a lot time to mill a factory set of bracket's down to almost nothing and sold them because they still weighed more than the aluminum one's that a friend built for me. you can get the weight down on your car but it's a lot of time consuming work and can be costly. I used many of dvw's tricks along with my own and others on here and moparts on my 330. I am not sure how correct the scale is at Norwalk. but I weighed my car with me in it said 3.386. without me 3.089. but keep in mind my car was a old school super stock car and the doors and fender's have been acid dipped with lexan side windows with no window regulators,glass hood, glass bumper. and a lot brackets and panels removed from the car. pretty much I have tried to lighten everything I could to reduce the total weight of the car. it can be done.

38012336_1778437188929765_5022845745934368768_n.jpg

Thanks 330, yep with all this good advice here I'm going to get the weight down. Like cranky even said on the bolts and nuts use plastic or aluminum this was something never crossed my mind. Because we all know how many nuts and bolts these old irons have.I did find a fab shop that will do anything in aluminum I need which was a nice find.

330 if I haven't mentioned before your car is awesome.

Wow great idea let me look at mine maybe I can go that way instead of making new ones.now do you still use the bumper bolts from the outside or do you do like malex. Thank you I can see after removing all the extra they would be pretty light and no cost is even better.
After I cut down my stock brackets I still used the stock bolts to mount the brackets to the frame but I used hardware store stainless steel Allen Head Cap Screws to mount my fiberglass bumpers to the cut down bumper brackets.
Again, after cutting them down they weight hardly nothing....
Picture is all of the stuff I cut out.

The 2 big pieces at the bottom of the picture are more than 2/3's of the rear bumper brackets that I cut off and only used less than 1/3 of the bracket which was the bottom 2 bolts out of the original 4. My cut down brackets were plenty strong for the fiberglass bumpers but they would NOT be strong enuf for steel bumpers.
My current quest is to get my sled down to 3300 lbs with 4 gallons of gas but NOT me in the car. Add 200lb for me for a total of 3500lb on the start line. Wallace Racing computer says that with this new weight my 10.158 should become 9.999.
I do NOT have a cut k-member and I still have roll up windows and door upholstery panels and full carpeting.

20180129_143114.jpg

Last edited:
Well got my bumper brackets off the car headed to the shop tomorrow to see how much I can cut down. Will be doing both front and back. Looked at the hood and truck lid thinking of cutting out the center of the frame work. Found a glass hood at glasstek price not to bad I might do that also

The dream would to fine an aluminum front end.

Well got my bumper brackets off the car headed to the shop tomorrow to see how much I can cut down. Will be doing both front and back. Looked at the hood and truck lid thinking of cutting out the center of the frame work. Found a glass hood at glasstek price not to bad I might do that also
I recently bought a pin on fiberglass hood and 5" hemi scoop from Glasstech. Cant beat their quality.
I currently have a pin on deck lid coming from Larry at Sled City

20171205_134638.jpg

Like to have play car to do this kinda stuff with, but no offense to all you guys but your really kinda cheap, never offer to give me a hemi car, a12 car, or a maxie. For years now i have been told i have white privilege so someone needs to step up and give me what i i truly deserve... Oh wait only people of color get that

Do a lot of us a favor and take that CRAP somewhere else. This site is about Mopars, and I, for one, am tired of the bigoted innuendos that frequently pop up...

Auto Transport Service
Back