• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

On my way to meet my car buddies

Charlie Brown

Local time
11:37 AM
Reaction score
This is what happens when your fuel pump push rod goes south.

20220514_111012[1].jpg 20220513_120649[1].jpg

Seems like there has been a lot of that lately.

Dam that sucks but at least it wont be down long.

Someone needs to design a "roller" on the cam end pump rod....

The other scary thing is that metal went somewhere

Those, along with a decent quality sending unit for late 60's b-bodies, could be reproduced
by someone with the means - and made at least as good of quality as the originals, they'd
clean house in the hobby!

Holy **** Batman, that's some wear.
I assume it was original? Makes me wish I had measured mine when I changed the cam.
Speaking of cams, better the push rod than the cam.

A friend of mine runs a metal treating business. I'll ask him his thoughts. Maybe I can start a business making reliable fuel pump pushrods.

Holy **** Batman, that's some wear.
I assume it was original? Makes me wish I had measured mine when I changed the cam.
Speaking of cams, better the push rod than the cam.
You sound surprised, this is very typical and many many post have been made about the hardened butter fuel pump push rods. The original rods are way better. Comp Cams rods suck ***. Not sure about others but they are basically junk. Also think about what they are doing to the cam lobe when they grind down like this. I will be pulling a cam out in the next week to replace the cam and lifters on another friends car. His car has ate through 3 fuel pump rods. I will post pictures of the damage to the cam if any.

Can we harden the new ones?

I'm wondering if this issue might be related to the Carter M6903 fuel pump. Both my Polara and my 1962 300 have these pumps, and both cars had the same fuel pump rod issue. Both rods were OEM units. I've done some reading on these pumps and there are a lot of issues with higher than advertised fuel pressures. My 62 had 11 psi and had to be reduced via a regulator to 6 psi. My Polara already had a regulator. Perhaps higher than normal spring pressure contributes to wear on the rods.

This is what happens when your fuel pump push rod goes south.

View attachment 1285109 View attachment 1285110

I'm wondering if this issue might be related to the Carter M6903 fuel pump. Both my Polara and my 1962 300 have these pumps, and both cars had the same fuel pump rod issue. Both rods were OEM units. I've done some reading on these pumps and there are a lot of issues with higher than advertised fuel pressures. My 62 had 11 psi and had to be reduced via a regulator to 6 psi. My Polara already had a regulator. Perhaps higher than normal spring pressure contributes to wear on the rods.
You know for a fact that the Fuel Pump PR's were OEM original from the 60's/70's? I've polished the cam lobes before and so far, so good in doing that.....

You sound surprised, this is very typical and many many post have been made about the hardened butter fuel pump push rods.
I am more surprised at the amount of wear. I now know that it is somewhat common, but did not know about it when I changed my cam.

You know for a fact that the Fuel Pump PR's were OEM original from the 60's/70's? I've polished the cam lobes before and so far, so good in doing that.....
They were for sure. My 300 with a 413 had only 29k when I got her and that's when the Carter fuel pump was installed. One k later the fuel pump rod was toast. My Polara with a 426 wedge, had only about 4 k on a complete rebuild. Carter pump was added at rebuild. According to previous owner, fuel pump rod was from a vintage OEM Mopar big block. This gets me thinking about the Carter pump. Coincidence? Maybe.

They were for sure. My 300 with a 413 had only 29k when I got her and that's when the Carter fuel pump was installed. One k later the fuel pump rod was toast. My Polara with a 426 wedge, had only about 4 k on a complete rebuild. Carter pump was added at rebuild. According to previous owner, fuel pump rod was from a vintage OEM Mopar big block. This gets me thinking about the Carter pump. Coincidence? Maybe.
Well, I just gave a buddy a 'vintage' FPPR yesterday and will let y'all know how that goes. I did mark which end was against the cam and told him to make sure it goes in that way. We'll see.....

Don't ever remember wearing out the rods back in the day, and always ran the big "Hemi" Carter pumps. Similar to recent cam/lifter issues resulting from a lack of ZDP in the oil, or improper metallurgy of the replacement rods?

158,000 miles on my 383's fuel pump rod and it was still to OE spec when I changed my pump last year .

I reused the RV 440 push rod when I built my 440 still running strong.

Don't ever remember wearing out the rods back in the day, and always ran the big "Hemi" Carter pumps. Similar to recent cam/lifter issues resulting from a lack of ZDP in the oil, or improper metallurgy of the replacement rods?
The rods are crap. Typical Chinesium issue....
I don't have the starvation issue these days, mostly because there's an old factory pushrod in the engine now.
I've still got a brand new Howard's pushrod hanging on my pegboard in the shop that I never even tried
because reports from here said it also was crap, like the Comp one is.

Auto Transport Service
Back