• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

One hundred trillion dollars!

Imperial One

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:49 PM
Reaction score
Let's here your finest Dr. Evil impersonation!
index.jpg

I have an MBA with a specialization in finance and accounting. I'm a bit of a student of economic history and in 2010 I bought these:

20220221_173428.jpg

I also have some from Yugoslavia. I have been looking to add some examples from the Weimar Republic but haven't found the right opportunity yet.

LET'S TALK ABOUT BANK NOTES NOT POLITICS IN THIS THREAD.
You can do that elsewhere.

I know an ole boy who was scammed into buying a load of Iraqi Dinar.

He had sold a large piece of property and was looking to invest. The idea was buy the Dinar cheap and when Iraq became
stable, the Dinar's value would increase.

He gave the people the cash money to invest but never received the Iraqi Dinar. They were "holding" it for him in a safe place.

As far as I know he has never seen his cash or any of his Dinar.

Currently 1 Iraqi Dinar equals 0.00069 of a US dollar.

The currency game is a dicey one under the best of circumstances and with the most stable of currencies. To invest or put any faith in unstable countries currencies is like pissing your investment into the cold winds of sorrow.

I got a few from my grandfather when I started collecting stamps and coins he was in ww1 , some have very beautiful art work .

The currency game is a dicey one under the best of circumstances and with the most stable of currencies. To invest or put any faith in unstable countries currencies is like pissing your investment into the cold winds of sorrow.

As currency all these banknotes are worthless. Now they are historical artifacts which is why I bought them. I bought two sets on ebay in 2010. I paid $8.99 for one set and $9.01 for other. So they have no value as currency. But as numismatic specimens they have value. Here's an article from 2016 from The Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/may/14/zimbabwe-trillion-dollar-note-hyerinflation-investment

A cursory look on ebay shows that the $100 trillion notes might sell for $189.00:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/363735607213?hash=item54b054e7ad:g:HegAAOSwBPphFrHB

I went to an ATM one day about 22 years ago, and found it was dispensing the new 'Millennium $10' notes. I grabbed a few and kept them tucked away ...nice and minty fresh.

They are now worth 3 times face value. Consecutives have more value. Issued 1.01.2000 - making it the first new banknotes in the world this millennium. :D

:xscuseless:

15444259_6.jpg

OM-BN1526-1__04250.1564158385.1280.1280.jpg

I always wanted to pick up a few Zimbabwe bank notes, and some of the prewar German inflationary notes, as well.
I had a bunch of Zim dollars when I was in Botswana and made sure I crossed the boarder bridge to Zimbabwe just to get rid of them, at that time no one else would take them.

I’m a bit of a bank note hound myself. I like to keep very fresh crispy notes from any foreign country I visit. Of course they’re not worth anything unless spent when revisiting the country of origin - hopefully with the same govt in place. I’ve been to some dicey places. I just like the idea of having them. They will someday soon go to my nephews 7 yo son who has a real thing for foreign currencies. He just has coins now. But when I unload on him he’ll think he owns stock in the world. I’ve also made a habit of collecting $2 USD bills. Very, very rarely seen in circulation - not even sure why they exist if not for circulation. When I go to Mass on the Eve of Tet with my in-laws the priests always hand out the $2 bills in the red envelopes as “lucky money” for the new year. They immediately go into my stash.

My old stamp collection (which I haven't touched in about fifty years) has some of the hyper inflation era German stamps from about 100 years ago. (They look like this, but this isn't mine).
alm_ge_293.jpg

It all looks like Monopoly money to me.
23 countries over the years and collected a stack of notes and coins mainly for the hell of it. If you pull the British pound notes out of the mix it would probably total a $1.35 U$.

I have some wooden nickels. :p

Actually, I do. :D

I went to an ATM one day about 22 years ago, and found it was dispensing the new 'Millennium $10' notes. I grabbed a few and kept them tucked away ...nice and minty fresh.

They are now worth 3 times face value. Consecutives have more value. Issued 1.01.2000 - making it the first new banknotes in the world this millennium. :D

:xscuseless:

View attachment 1243996

View attachment 1243997

Very cool. I might need to buy me one of those.

I have some wooden nickels. :p

Actually, I do. :D

And I have a $4 bill.

Actually I do. :D

From 1900. Mine is not is as good as condition as the one in the picture I am posting, but after nearly 125 years it is not too shabby:

CA78-768x361.jpeg

I got in some trouble in Madrid many years ago.....admiring some 'Threepenny bits" (pronounced thripinny bits) ....but I wasn't looking at a numismatic display. :bananadance::bananadance::bananadance::bananadance::bananadance:

I got in some trouble in Madrid many years ago.....admiring some 'Threepenny bits" (pronounced thripinny bits) ....but I wasn't looking at a numismatic display. :bananadance::bananadance::bananadance::bananadance::bananadance:

I assume that's Cockney rhyming slang for something .......

Last edited:
I have a bunch of random bills that I gathered over the years. None are valuable, I just got them because they are colourful or unusual. Canadian Tire money, old Imperial Russian, old British military scrip, a three dollar “Donny Dollar”, and the strangest one yet:
We live on the south shore of Great Slave Lake. It is 450 miles long, 100 miles wide, drains into the Arctic Ocean via the McKenzie River, one of the worlds great rivers. It had hundreds of miles of beautiful, unspoiled beaches. There’s nobody up here, so there’s nobody on the beaches. But we go fishing and exploring on our side by side.
One time we are fishing. Wife notices an unusual coloured piece in the coarse beach sand, and stops to investigate. It’s a Jamaican dollar bill, beat to **** but complete. How in the hell did it get to be on a beach in the Arctic, miles from anywhere?

Auto Transport Service
Back