• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

One thing to the next :/

67SniperHockey

Local time
12:12 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys - sorry - another question. Still tackling these issues to get it ready for the year.

Changed header gaskets, new valve cover gaskets, new oil (Amsoil ZRod), and added a M/E Wagner PCV Valve setup (still dialing in). While tuning the pcv valve I noticed a new oil leak on the passenger side - literally dripping from my header tubes. I thought I was burning off spilled oil/coolant from the prior work I’ve done - but then got under and saw oil dripping.

What am I looking at here? Thanks guys.

FB356EC3-3FDC-48B3-B39B-594B3B430325.jpeg

Bad valve cover gasket or just needs a tighten?

I tightened them a bit as there have been a few heat cycles now.

However - it seems the oil is inside the header pipes and seeping/dripping out - not oil on top of the headers. I see almost a pooling of wet on the bottom of the header tubes at the lowest point by the collector - pic above - and that’s where it is dripping.

What valve covers? My bet is that they are stamped aluminum, I had a set of Moroso's that leaked in the back corner and was hard to see until I got up underneath and looked up at the block/ head. Went through 3 different sets of gaskets, wasnt until I changed out to a stamped steel set did the leak clear up.

Last edited:
What valve covers? My bet is that they are stamped aluminum, I had a set of Moroso's that leaked in the back corner and was hard to see until I got up underneath and looked up at the block/ head. Went through 3 different sets of gaskets, want until I changed out to stamped steel set did the leak clear up.

I have these:
C4838DDC-E801-4B5E-AD97-B0272251F6F4.jpeg

I tightened them a bit as there have been a few heat cycles now.

However - it seems the oil is inside the header pipes and seeping/dripping out - not oil on top of the headers. I see almost a pooling of wet on the bottom of the header tubes at the lowest point by the collector - pic above - and that’s where it is dripping.

I don't see how that's possible to have oil inside the pipe that leaks out unless the pipe has holes in that area. Any smoke coming out at the tail pipe?

Agreed. Unless they are "slip tube" headers (don't look like it), there's no way for oil to "seep through" the header tubes. Therefore, it must be dripping on them from outside and valve cover gaskets are BY FAR the most likely problem.

Or possibly the oil pressure switch/sending unit but most likely valve covers.

I don’t see how it would be possible for oil to be inside the pipes either, which is why I was asking.

Previously when I had an oil leak from the valve covers, the oil dripped higher up on the headers towards the flange - right below the valve cover. So I am perplexed that if it is still an oil leak stemming from the valve cover how the oil is missing the spot it normally does and is falling all the way down to the collector area at the bottom.

In addition, in the pic you can see the “stains” of oil on the header tubes and they are collected on the side/bottom where pooling would occur - not sure how valve cover leak would drip way down there, and only on the side/bottom?? I have no idea.

This is what led me to my hypothesis and subsequent question. Would be my 4th gasket on this side - drivers side has always been perfect when I’ve replaced valve cover gasket.

Thanks everyone! Really appreciate your time to respond and I value all input, so thank you.

Last edited:
I don't see how that's possible to have oil inside the pipe that leaks out unless the pipe has holes in that area. Any smoke coming out at the tail pipe?

Not anything unusual that could not be contributed to temperature fluctuations - just a ton of smoke from the headers where the oil is deposited when motor starts to warm up.

Just take a paper towel and wipe around the bottom of the valve cover to see if there are areas that are “wet”.

If you haven’t driven the car very far since the new gaskets, I’d suggest going for a little drive(20-30 miles), which should either burn stuff off the headers, or make it worse.
Either way should help answer some questions.

Is the area around the back of the oil pan wet...... or nice and dry?

It is “wet” on the cylinder head, around #8 spark plug, etc.

I did remove #8 plug just to make sure and it is completely dry.

I will look at valve cover gasket again - but there is no “drip” indications anywhere that oil is dripping onto the headers - look at the pooling of oil on the header tubes today from overnight....?? There has to be gravity at play here with where the oil is pooling - I just changed oil and put in the same amount that was taken out when I drained the old oil (7.5 qt). Is there excess oil?

8A2355FD-9167-4F80-AB47-0673F7B96105.jpeg

Last edited:
Are the gaskets tacked to the valve cover? I tried it dry and noticed that the gasket barley sat on the edge of the head and when I tightened down the VC it (gasket) probably slipped off the edge. or provide just enough misalignment to allow oil to leak in that very same spot.

Are the gaskets tacked to the valve cover? I tried it dry and noticed that the gasket barley sat on the edge of the head and when I tightened down the VC it (gasket) probably slipped off the edge. or provide just enough misalignment to allow oil to leak in that very same spot.
Yes - I used Indian Head to secure the gasket itself to the valve cover - put bolts in to keep aligned, and put evenly distributed weight and let dry for 1-2 days before application.

Wonder if the bottom of the VCs could be flared out? Have you checked squareness on a flat surface?

Wonder if the bottom of the VCs could be flared out? Have you checked squareness on a flat surface?
Inevitably when I take this cover off I am going to check the plane of both the valve cover and top of cylinder head in that corner. I apparently suck at installing the VC gasket - even though my drivers side has been fine since day 1. This will be 4th time for this valve cover in particular.
I’m also wary of the oil pattern on the headers - seems odd for oil to be at the bottom, of the lowest points, if oil is dripping from the VC.

I am also trying to tune my M/E Wagner PCV Valve - well it’s a little difficult to do when I need to get the motor to operating temp and it smokes like a banshee with this stupid oil. Want to get the pcv dialed in without starting a fire - ha - then remove valve cover again :/

Mine showed up exactly the same way...I also have a Wagner have finished my nuclear engineering degree yet to begin installing it!!!!
Who would have ever though the instructions for a pcv would be about the size of War & Peace???

Is it blowing smoke out of the tail pipe? If so then that will confirm the internal dip question.

Perhaps I do valve cover again - then finish setting up the pcv system. I have the idle circuit set, just working on cruise but dealing with all this oil. I was hoping the proper venting of crankcase pressure with this pcv setup would solve the problem.

I’ve done cork, rubber 2 times, above process each time and still getting leak in same spot. So not sure where to even start next with gasket, etc.

Auto Transport Service
Back