• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinion needed- please!

betmarkllc

Local time
7:19 AM
Reaction score
I am looking at 69 Charger 500. Needs assembly. Everything is there, either powder coated, polished, chromed. I am okay with the price. Build sheet from 2 other cars, correct vin plate and registered with Govin . My problem, no # on radiator support, trunk rail. What would you do?

15235.jpeg 15235.jpeg 15233.jpeg 15239.jpeg 15228.jpeg 15220.jpeg

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd just be happy that I got the car at all! Very Nice!
:thumbsup:

If you're ok with the price, then what's the concern ? Originality ? Fraud ? What's the reason for the missing numbers ? Has the parts been replaced ?

Other than the VIN, what ties this particular body to being a 500?
What is the level of known history? Is it extensive and documented or 'not sure'?
Does the history information seem credible and can it be easily verified or is it it murky?

I am looking at 69 Charger 500. Needs assembly. Everything is there, either powder coated, polished, chromed. I am okay with the price. Build sheet from 2 other cars, correct vin plate and registered with Govin . My problem, no # on radiator support, trunk rail. What would you do?

View attachment 1201456 View attachment 1201457 View attachment 1201458 View attachment 1201459 View attachment 1201460 View attachment 1201461
It's difficult to read the fuzzy copy of Galen's letter. Is this the VIN: XX29L9B235415 ?

I wouldn't even consider buying a desirable car like that with no radiator support and trunk gutter numbers, and I am sure I am not alone. It very well could be a standard XP 318 Charger. It will never bring Charger 500 money and will always be tough to sell.

Yeah, you'd think someone restoring one of these would make special effort to have the body numbers
readily apparent on the thing, eh?
Spidey sense tingling...

What does the seller say about the numbers missing? A /6 or 318 car ok, but not on a charger 500

Fender tags are repoped. Mr. G had them also done. I know that vin tags have been repoped although a Fed crime.
No numbers on sheetmetal, what does that tell anyone!???? Hello???
This matters only if you ever well it.]
A tribute car is that and a car missing body numbers 69 up is what it is!

The current state of the collector car world is controlled by Documentation. You have a good start with VIN Plate, build sheet, and Govier (personal distaste). Build sheet will get you a Fender Tag and the trunk rail and radiator support can be re-stamped. Do more research to validate that it has not a stolen over it's life. The stamped areas have been changed on so many cars that it is not a big deal anymore. Never claim that the stamped areas are original and since you are happy with the price, build away. If someone has had a used front or rear clip put on a car, are they required to remove all the original number stamping?

Do you think someone with an Original Hemi Car that had a left quarter replaced or front area in the 70's would now find it worthless because of an accident in its history and then abandon it? Sometimes "It is what it is".

How recent has a documented car been found to be fake?

My horoscope advised me to expect a Red X today.

If you plan on selling it later then you should probably leave it alone , but if you plan on keeping it for life then what do you care when your gone, get some enjoyment out of it and who cares what anybody else thinks

I would simply ask yourself what are you buying it for???
Is this a car you want for financial gain, in which case that would reduce its value. You also said there are items powder coated which would exempt it from being a concourse type car and affect the value anyways.
If its for personal enjoyment and you realize that it will never be a concourse type of vehicle and the price that you are ok with is reflected as such, so what?
The purest want everything to match and will not accept any thing less.... me? If that was my dream car and I was buying it for me, no one else, and felt fine with the quality for what I was getting I would do it in a heartbeat. Clones are not an abomination, but preferred in my world, as I would never pay the stupid prices limited production/rare cars are fetching.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back