• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinion needed- please!

What does "Build sheet from 2 other cars" mean?

Never seen one in that color.

I am looking at 69 Charger 500. Needs assembly. Everything is there, either powder coated, polished, chromed. I am okay with the price. Build sheet from 2 other cars, correct vin plate and registered with Govin . My problem, no # on radiator support, trunk rail. What would you do?

View attachment 1201456 View attachment 1201457 View attachment 1201458 View attachment 1201459 View attachment 1201460 View attachment 1201461
Build sheet from 2 other cars has what value to the car you're looking at?

Have you called GG to discuss this car?

If the buyer understands WHAT he is really buying and good with that and the price, I say yea go for it. Building a clone or tribute car has been as common a thing to do as dirt for decades, But someone building a bogus car to sell to someone unsuspecting soul is criminal.

To put it simply; you could have all the paperwork in the world, but NOTHING ties it to that car without the body numbers. It has to be considered a clone. If you are happy with that, then go for it. As has been stated, Galen's letter is just a registry entry, and is worthless as documentation. Neither Galen or anyone else could certify a car without body numbers.

Nobody builds a car like this as does not take photos. Ask the seller to show them to you and ask what is going on with the lack of body stamps. It may be rebodied, but it may also just have been heavily rusted and major portions replaced, stamps filled in with bondo or primer, or who knows...... Then you decide how important the issue is to you.

It's very common for 500's to not have the correct build sheets in them because the interiors were removed when the bodies were modified, piled up, and not necessarily installed back into the same cars they came out of.

Good luck!

Gee, if you are expecting to buy a real '69 500. Sure doesn't look like one. If it looks like what you want, at the price you are comfortable with, go for it. Don't plan on selling it as a high dollar original.

It's difficult to read the fuzzy copy of Galen's letter. Is this the VIN: XX29L9B235415 ?
The end is 9415. I appreciate all the feedback. Just confirming my gut feeling,as, if I go through all the research and detail work to make it right, which I enjoy, is it worth it all in the end. Sounds like I am gambling on it as anybody on the backside like you guys say IS going to want all of the docs. Again thank you all for your input. This is a great place!

The current state of the collector car world is controlled by Documentation. You have a good start with VIN Plate, build sheet, and Govier (personal distaste). Build sheet will get you a Fender Tag and the trunk rail and radiator support can be re-stamped. Do more research to validate that it has not a stolen over it's life. The stamped areas have been changed on so many cars that it is not a big deal anymore. Never claim that the stamped areas are original and since you are happy with the price, build away. If someone has had a used front or rear clip put on a car, are they required to remove all the original number stamping?

Do you think someone with an Original Hemi Car that had a left quarter replaced or front area in the 70's would now find it worthless because of an accident in its history and then abandon it? Sometimes "It is what it is".

How recent has a documented car been found to be fake?

My horoscope advised me to expect a Red X today.
Lol. I was thinking 1/2 a red x, but I have never given one and this surely isn't worthy. The PO's statement that the car has 2 build sheets, but neither are for this car throws the idea of having a fender tag repopped out the window. So it basically has a dash VIN tag that may or may not be originally from this car.

The end is 9415. I appreciate all the feedback. Just confirming my gut feeling,as, if I go through all the research and detail work to make it right, which I enjoy, is it worth it all in the end. Sounds like I am gambling on it as anybody on the backside like you guys say IS going to want all of the docs. Again thank you all for your input. This is a great place!
Thank you for the clarification. Posting full VIN below for posterity.

VIN: XX29L9B239415

I am gambling on it as anybody on the backside like you guys say IS going to want all of the docs.
That applies for a purest collector, if the price is right or better for what it is, I think it will still have good value with the limited identification.
There are some nice clones that still command significant dollar's simply because of the build quality and you telling the truth about its origin. I doubt that most general car enthusiasts are even aware that MaMopar put those numbers there.
They may even be there under filler, primer and paint

Lol. I was thinking 1/2 a red x, but I have never given one and this surely isn't worthy. The PO's statement that the car has 2 build sheets, but neither are for this car throws the idea of having a fender tag repopped out the window. So it basically has a dash VIN tag that may or may not be originally from this car.
Looks like no Lottery tickets tonight. I over read the reason for having two build sheets. I understood two were found in the car. My mistake.

I am looking at 69 Charger 500. Needs assembly. Everything is there, either powder coated, polished, chromed. I am okay with the price. Build sheet from 2 other cars, correct vin plate and registered with Govin . My problem, no # on radiator support, trunk rail. What would you do?

View attachment 1201456 View attachment 1201457 View attachment 1201458 View attachment 1201459 View attachment 1201460 View attachment 1201461
no #s on rails I would check the title. And not pay top dollar.

I only want authentic cars with no questionable history. To me if you're questioning it, you already know the answer. Attractive looking Charger but I would never drive it and think to myself "wow, this is a rare piece of history". Cars are always coming up for sale, you lay down the money for this one and perhaps a month later a no-story one will come up for sale.

As has been stated, if you are good with the price and this is your dream car then do it, if however you are wanting this to be an investment car then maybe not. For me, if the title matches the VIN and it has all of the things that it should have, then I wouldn't have a problem with it. Despite what many would like to believe, a good many of the "high end" cars had questionable origins, documentation and tags but were "made right" but the restorer/owners on the DL. Additionally, it is not illegal to reproduce a fender tag, it is obviously distasteful to some but not illegal and many restored cars have repopped fender tags.

Buy the car because you love and want it not because what it "might" be worth.

If you are rich and famous, just re-pop the missing build sheet and fender tag, restamp the missing body numbers, have your buddies judge the car at a high-end Mopar show to build up provenance, and sell it for 200k in a few years.:)

Just kidding guys!:mob:

Auto Transport Service
Back