• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FOR SALE Opinion on 70 gtx clone for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJRR

Local time
2:04 PM
Reaction score
Contact seller
Gentlemen (and ladies). There's a 70 GTX clone for sale on ebay in NY, not too far from me. It looks nice, but the seller did disclose that there were some rust issues. There is some serious rust on the front frame by the control arms, not sure about the rest of the frame.The seller did send me the following pics showing the bad areas. Also, in the listing, it shows the trunk pan needs replacing and also some bubbling in a few spots ( was painted about 10 years ago.) I'm asking for opinions on whether the frame is repairable and estimates on what it would cost, also estimates on the trunk pan (I'm not a body man and can't do it myself). I'm attaching the link and the pics the seller sent me. Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970...3630276?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2a3093f8c4

photo.jpgphoto(1).jpgphoto(2).jpg

That is some serious corrosion. Of course it can be fixed, but the fix may involve completely replacing the frame rails.

By the way, I read the ebay ad. His mention of "The original dash and gauge were replaced to match the GTX " isn't quite accurate, as the 1970 GTX would have had the rallye dash with round speedometer, and probably tic-toc-tac. What is shown is a rectangular 150 mph dash like a 1969 GTX might have had.

Replaced a 318 with a 440, but no mention of matching stronger rear end. And air shocks are no longer the selling point that they were in, say, 1975.

With the amount of work that might be involved, don't be swayed by the shiny paint. It might all have to come off anyway. I'd add up the dollars that might be needed, and save them for a genuine GTX.

Just my opinion.

-=Photon440=-

at very minimum you will be doubling down on the asking price to make this a nice clone and that is a conservative number if you have to shop out. 85 plus 85 = 17,000.00 which would buy a pretty nice clone already done. that rust out in the middle below the rear window is a good bet that the corners are shot also. i am with photon on this one.

.02 cents

That car needs a rail or at least a large section. I bet there's more then what you see in the picture. That is a very common spot for them to rot. I've had at least 3 cars with a similar spot there. It is probably the worst part of the frame to work on. If you can't do the work yourself find a better car. It's still sitting there for a reason.It will be expensive. Engine, Trans, K-frame and the rest of the front suspension will need to come out to do it right.

Photon and Shag nailed it about this car and ~$25K will buy you a nice completely done RR or maybe GTX .. I'd keep a close watch out and are ready to pounce for the right car .. otherwise most seem to be in the $30-$34.999K range done.

If you are definitely wanting to stay in a lower purchase bracket I'd look for a Sat that's got a great or the best body and frame possible to avoid a lot of rust repair. Also look for one with nice panels and as complete as possible. Body parts and replacement panels, grills, and trim adds up super fast. Last thing I would probably go for a 68 to 69 clone over a 70 so you don't have to change out the entire dash frame, gauges and panels. 70 models is also when they introduced a good deal more plastic in grills, dash and they don't hold up as well and are a little more complex in number of nice parts required to make a complete one .. but of course you know that.

Nice clones pop up fairly regularly here on FBBO, CL etc.

when your done you still have a dressed up satellite that you'll have way to much money into. looks like a parts car to me....

when your done you still have a dressed up satellite that you'll have way to much money into. looks like a parts car to me....
My thought exactly!NJRR,trunk pans/floor pans are VERY easy to do yourself.

however, that frame is VERY disconcerting, everything above, below, around, on and in will HAVE to come off to do it right. At the very least, the rotted frame rail removed and a new piece spliced in.

As you know, EVERYTHING is fixable for a price$$$.

If it could be had for a LOT cheaper and if you already had a 70, I can see swapping everything over, it has potential for the *right price*

My thoughts also. Parts car.

We are forbidding you to buy this car!

I agree with everyone else - there are far better cars out there to be looking at. That is some serious rust that is showing. Can you imagine how much more is covered up? Maybe it would be worth buying if it was a Hemi car, but no way for a standard Satellite.

go to cars on line a lot of Plymouth`s there and some are priced right, check it out ,by the time you blast that one you might not end up with to many parts ,that's a lot of work for a novice sorry I wouldn't give no where near what he wants :icon_shaking:

- - - Updated - - -

1970ROADRUNNER_1377663949679[2].jpg1970ROADRUNNER_1377663961294[1].jpg found this one 1970 Plymouth Satelite on Autotrader Classics site in riverhead ny 11901 for$11995.00

That's ALOT of work for an expert too !!! LOL

go to cars on line a lot of Plymouth`s there and some are priced right, check it out ,by the time you blast that one you might not end up with to many parts ,that's a lot of work for a novice sorry I wouldn't give no where near what he wants :icon_shaking:

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 137066View attachment 137065 found this one 1970 Plymouth Satelite on Autotrader Classics site in riverhead ny 11901 for$11995.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back