• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions on Parts washer fluid.

satman72

Local time
7:29 PM
Reaction score
Hey all. I just bought a 20 gallon parts washer.

I'm wondering what you folks are using for the cleaner. I've seen various products from 20-50 bucks for 5 gallons.
Just wondering what you guys are using, have used & how good it is.

Thanks

just use gasoline or diesel fuel. All the other stuff is expensive.

I use a solvent (any brand name) and usually cut it with kerosene. Stay away from any "enviromentally friendly" or waterbase stuff. They never seem to work as well.

wally world usually has mineral spirits cheap. problem is they usually dont have enough to fill a parts washer so it might take more than one trip.

gasoline in a solvent tank not a good idea unless you have good insurance then your wife might like it

No worries, I wasn't going to use gasoline. I have no desire to keep 10-15 gallons of gas in an open tank in the garage.

Mineral Spirits won't hurt the pump?

They tell you it will, but I've had mineral spirits in mine 10 plus years and it's still kickin.

Oh and don't get the "vapor friendly" mineral spirits. If it's not the kind that'll make you have two headed babies, it's not worth a ****.

- - - Updated - - -

No worries, I wasn't going to use gasoline. I have no desire to keep 10-15 gallons of gas in an open tank in the garage.

You'll not want to leave the lid open with mineral spirits either. It evaporates, too.

I won't leave the lid open, but I do worry about the fumes. I'm one of those people that still smokes, and tend to go into the garage for a smoke on a regular basis.

we always used mineral spirits in all our parts washers when i worked in shops.

I use diesel or kerosene but never had a parts washer.

Mineral spirits or sometimes its called called paint thinner (not laquer thinner) , and I add a gallon or so of water , the the gunk settles down into the water at the bottom , sometimes you can just drain off the dirty water at the bottom once it settles depending on how bad-dirty the parts are.

Ive had it for like 10+ years and the pump actually just runs off magnetism on mine , so no sparks to ignite anything.

As a parts washer, I am currently using a 20 Qt turkey roaster with a 4-1 mix of water, and Simple-Green. I set it to med, and in the morning, carbon is able to brush-off from pistons! If you can wait, this will degrease almost almost anything you can throw at it.

I use a solvent (any brand name) and usually cut it with kerosene. Stay away from any "enviromentally friendly" or waterbase stuff. They never seem to work as well.

+2

I also plumbed mine with an oil filter after the pump. Works like a champ.

130211_0002.jpg

Been using mineral spirits for decades. I get it from a local petroleum distributor. Take my own 5gal buckets and fill them from their fuel pump. Way cheaper.

Auto Transport Service
Back