• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions on ring and pinion brands

hunt2elk

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:28 AM
Reaction score
Thinking of replacing the 3.91's in my 489 case with a new set of 3.55's. Is there a big difference in quality between brands? Any that a guy should stay away from?

A buddy of mine wrestled with gear whine for a while after installing a new set in his 8 3/4, thinking it was an adjustment issue. He was really frustrated that he could not adjust out the whine until someone told him that the Richmond gear sets tended to be noisy. He replaced it with something else (sorry can't recall what) and no more whine.

Just one instance for consideration anyways.

I remember the 4-speed in my GTX was real noisy ..especially in reverse. Not sure of the gear other than stock.

I ended going up with a Strange Engineering ring & gear in the bird. Good quality, a little noise, but pretty typical for a 3.91. Went with Richmond 3.23's in the Coronet. Little bit more noise with those, but nothing that's annoying or anything. No issues with either.

Sounds like all the newer ones make some noise then? I have seen quite a few comments about the Richmonds being noisy, and was hoping there was something better out there.

Are y'all using the gear pattern method to set up or a pinion depth tool? Have never had any issues with Richmond gears being noisy. I use a pinion depth tool and the pattern never looks quite like what the pics say it should so I don't even bother to look at it anymore. Several years ago when I first start building rears and then slapping them in a car for testing and everything sounded good, it was like why bother if the tool is not lying to me. Thing I don't like much is that none of this stuff is made in the states anymore. I'm doing a 3.73 now. The gears are Motive and they are made in Italy. At least the bearings are USA made. The two before this one came from Randy's R&P (Yukon) and the gears were made in Korea and the bearings were made in China. The bearings even looked cheesy. No guarantee with China made crap.....but so far no one has ever complained about anything....knock on wood.

Last edited:
Thing I don't like much is that none of this stuff is made in the states anymore.

That was going to be my next question. So nobody in the US makes gear sets?

Last edited:
YUKON

"Bar None"

(Standard issue in ALL Dodge RAM Cummins Diesel trucks...)
Industry Standard.
And made in Korea. IF my diesel has Yukon gears in it I won't replace them with the same brand after wearing out in just over 100k miles of light duty service. At least I think it was pretty light duty.....

I've installed Strange/US Gear, Richmond, Zoom (dating myself), and Yukon. 2.76 to 5.15 ratios, and in Jeep, Mopar, Ford, and GM rears of various sizes. I worked in a specialty 4wd shop in addition to my hobby customers. None were/are noisey provided everything is right and the break in process is followed properly. If you got noise, something wasn't perfect or they weren't broken in properly.

Speak to Cass at DrDiff. He sells loads of MotiveGear, made in Italy. Great value and he would not sell them if he got loads of complaints......

I installed some "G2" http://www.g2axle.com/
gears (3.54:1) in my Dana 60 because at the time they were either back ordered or no longer made by other manufacturers.
They seem decent and are quiet. So far no problem with them.

I've installed Strange/US Gear, Richmond, Zoom (dating myself), and Yukon. 2.76 to 5.15 ratios, and in Jeep, Mopar, Ford, and GM rears of various sizes. I worked in a specialty 4wd shop in addition to my hobby customers. None were/are noisey provided everything is right and the break in process is followed properly. If you got noise, something wasn't perfect or they weren't broken in properly.
This is why I asked how people were installing them....IE, setting the pinion dept based on pattern or using a depth setting tool. Not saying the pattern method won't but imo, using a dial indicator on a pinion depth tool is better.

The Dana Spicer gear sets are still available from Ryder Truck parts. Either it is listed as Dana or Spicer, a bit expensive but you get what you pay for. I really do like MotiveGear. I use the depth tool to set Pinion depth and the 400.00 Bar end cap tool from Spicer, which cost 900.00 back in 1996. Can not assemble rear without proper tools. Dana is not a toy like 8 3/4 or GM stuff. This rear requires accurate equipment.

Ring and pinion gears in general come from many different sources.

Regardless of the name on the box, all 8.75" gears come from one of the following manufacturers, however:

2 Korea
1 Italy
1 USA

I have also seen Indian 8.75" gears, but I don't know if they are still available.

Overall, all current 8.75" gears are good quality. The Korean gears have been very consistent.

In my experience, nothing is as quiet as a set of original gears in good shape. This is true across all makes Ford, GM, etc.

Ring and pinion gears in general come from many different sources.

Regardless of the name on the box, all 8.75" gears come from one of the following manufacturers, however:

2 Korea
1 Italy
1 USA

I have also seen Indian 8.75" gears, but I don't know if they are still available.

Overall, all current 8.75" gears are good quality. The Korean gears have been very consistent.

Hey Cass,
Didn't know you were a member here. I was just going to post stating how you got me educated on Friday afternoon. I'll be calling back next week to get the whole order put together for my RR. Thanks again for taking the time to explain everything so well.

Auto Transport Service
Back