• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions on what to call it when asked ?

Challenger340

Local time
1:04 AM
Reaction score
OK, don't laugh.... because I don't know, and I find this embarrassing even asking.

This "nomenclature" stuff can be very confusing when describing old muscle cars ?
Words like "original"... "restored".... "restored original"... "UN-restored".... "Numbers Matching" ..."Survivor".... and on and on.

So I would like to hear opinions ?
What does a guy call a Car, that can't technically be called a "survivor", because, of an 80's exterior only repaint ?
My understanding being that term "survivor" is reserved for original paint Cars ?

So what would you use in a simple term...
to describe a 1969 Car that has it's UN-Rebuilt factory Engine in great shape & still running well, UN-Restored all original sheet metal Body, 100% numbers matching right down to points dizzy/factory exhaust system intact, nothing changed or altered since new other than normal maintenance ?
(Belts/Hoses/brake linings/light bulbs, 2 tie-rods, 1 ball joint, W/S in '86, frt bucket inlays resewn in '84)

What would YOU call it ?

Lucky owner indeed.
Unrestored would be a good starting description. As I've found going to cruise nights the conversation only begins there. Only people who are really interested and want to know about your car will approach you and inquire about it anyway. You'll have an opportunity to describe it.

the owner is lucky.

Yep and I know it.
But parked beside another '69 Charger R/T at a show-n-shine this summer and talking with it's owner, I was at a loss for terminology ? So was the other guy ?
He described his Charger as a "Restored Original"...
He called mine a "survivor"... which I corrected him as NO.... because that's reserved for original paint Cars ?

If everything is OE except the paint, you could call it many things.., a Jenny, Semi Survivor, numbers matching....
Personally would not worry about a "classification" ,I would just enjoy it...car people will know what it is and will more than likely respect it as such. JMHO...

A true survivor is defined as it has everything untouched since the day it rolled out of the factory(service items can be changed with NOS correct items). Once things get mettled with then it is no longer a survivor. It is unrestored....

Restored original to OEM guys like me is a car that is restored exactly back to day 1 status....means lots of NOS parts and date code, PN correct, overspray, dip lines etc...Not a nicely restored car with repro/incorrect parts on it...that car is simply restored....There is less than 1% of all reproduction parts that look like an original part....

"Semi-Survivor" sounds worth a try ?
I never thought of that ?

I've tried using "Un-restored with an 80's repaint" in the past ?
but,
that always seems to lead into 20 questions with many people then firstly asking if it's a "survivor" ?
and,
me then then having to explain as I know the term survivor...... "NO, that's reserved for original paint Cars"
then playing 20 questions,
somebody else comes in at #12.... back to #4... and on and on... and confused looks ?

Last edited:
All original with an 80s repaint

"Semi-Survivor" sounds worth a try ?
I never thought of that ?

I've tried using "Un-restored with an 80's repaint" in the past ?
but,
that always seems to lead into 20 questions with many people then firstly asking if it's a "survivor" ?
and,
me then then having to explain as I know the term survivor...... "NO, that's reserved for original paint Cars"
then playing 20 questions,
somebody else comes in at #12.... back to #4... and on and on... and confused looks ?
Bob

Good to see you around here my machine shop friend!

Justin

I know what I would call it if I was the lucky owner...........Mine! Awesome car. :thumbsup: I don't think I've seen it that I know of, but if you come to Street Wheelers weekend, I likely have.

Agree with WileyE, no matter what anybody says.

I'd call it a survivor with one re-paint

Smokes that is a nice looking Charger!

I would call it unrestored or unrestored original. An 80's paint job is original to the history correct? :)

Sounds like everyone has his own definitions. Mine has 94K on it and has been repainted and the carpet and headliner have been replaced, but it has not been "restored" (probably another word that could use defining). I call it a survivor.

Bahhhh..... I hate all these 21st century compartmentalizing descriptions. Call it a cool old driver and be done with it.

Auto Transport Service
Back