• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opportunity Knocks - 64 Dart GT convertible in my sights

SlingLow

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:22 PM
Reaction score
I just looked at this 64 Dart GT convertible today and have until probably tomorrow to pull the trigger. I'd be interested in anyone's opinion that's willing to offer it. The seller is a retired guy who stripped it to metal, did all necessary rust repairs and painted it. He claims no bondo except the skim coat and the magnet agreed. He rebuilt the 318 LA motor and has all the parts receipts. Mild cam, decent power. He rebuilt the front end and had it aligned but it seems to wander a bit to me. He suggested maybe a new steering gear which he didn't replace. He went through the tranny and replaced the push button dash with a Dakota Digital and installed a floor shifter.

So to me the negatives are:

Non-stock metallic blue paint but it looks good. 6-7 years old.
Dakota Digital dash (I have the same one in a Fairlane and I like it better in the Fairlane but it takes away from the originality)
Cloth/velour interior - give me your heartfelt opinion on this. It's a $5-7k fix so it needs to be factored in.
Both bumpers have some dents and weak chrome. Not horribly misshapen. Restorable.
Brightwork and chrome isn't great up close. Everything's there I think.
Top has a couple patches (but operates properly and to be honest, I'd probably never drive it with it up).
Blacked out headlight bezels.

I'll tell ya it's priced under $20k. What do y'all think? Deal, OK deal or No deal? What would YOU pay?

20230426_133246.jpg

20230426_125842.jpg

20230426_125825.jpg

20230426_132907.jpg
20230426_131031.jpg
20230426_133201.jpg
20230426_132919.jpg
20230426_133111.jpg

Last edited:
Not a fan of that interior
But;
looks like a decent car, for an early Dart

I'm not sure on pricing at all,
I don't really keep up with those years of A-bodies...
A wild *** guess, I'd say $12k - $15k tops, even that'd be
'a solid maybe'
It looks solid, I'm not big on their taste 'of stuff/choices',
I generally don't mind day 2 stuff, if done tastefully
but, there's nothing that can't be changed or fixed
needs to be part of the price considerations too

Everything is way more $$$ today too, so who knows (?)
Good Luck

Last edited:
I really like the 64 Darts, and a convertible no less. Back in high school my brother had one with the 225 and the factory Hurst 4 spd. What a blast to drive.
Prices sure have gone up in the last few years. Not too long ago you could pick up a nice driver for under $10K.
No matter what car you buy or for how much, you're going to sink money into it to personalize it to your taste. Buy it for the best price you can afford. This one is nice enough that you can drive it for as long as you want while stashing up parts and accessories.
Good luck and let us know how it ends up.

I'm looking at your pics, thinking, yeah, that's a nice car, I can go for that... until the interior... yeah, you're right, it is fugly. But still, car looks great otherwise. I'd try to get a good deal on it, for sure !

I just looked at this 64 Dart GT convertible today and have until probably tomorrow to pull the trigger. I'd be interested in anyone's opinion that's willing to offer it. The seller is a retired guy who stripped it to metal, did all necessary rust repairs and painted it. He claims no bondo except the skim coat and the magnet agreed. He rebuilt the 318 LA motor and has all the parts receipts. Mild cam, decent power. He rebuilt the front end and had it aligned but it seems to wander a bit to me. He suggested maybe a new steering gear which he didn't replace. He went through the tranny and replaced the push button dash with a Dakota Digital and installed a floor shifter.

So to me the negatives are:

Non-stock metallic blue paint but it looks good. 6-7 years old.
Dakota Digital dash (I have the same one in a Fairlane and I like it better in the Fairlane but it takes away from the originality)
Cloth/velour interior - give me your heartfelt opinion on this. It's a $5-7k fix so it needs to be factored in.
Both bumpers have some dents and weak chrome. Not horribly misshapen. Restorable.
Brightwork and chrome isn't great up close. Everything's there I think.
Top has a couple patches (but operates properly and to be honest, I'd probably never drive it with it up).
Blacked out headlight bezels.

I'll tell ya it's priced under $20k. What do y'all think? Deal, OK deal or No deal? What would YOU pay?

View attachment 1456280
View attachment 1456281
View attachment 1456282
View attachment 1456283View attachment 1456284View attachment 1456285View attachment 1456286View attachment 1456287
It's pretty sharp but 20G's is strong money for one that you want to change. Agreed, not a fan of the upholstery. Nothing that $2000 won't fix. Saying that, if the body is solid and the paint is good, that' a $10,000 savings right there.

The price is $15k for this Dart. Body and paint are solid which is important if you don't want to get upside down in a hurry. All rebuilt mechanicals make it a solid car. I've was struggling with the decision until I made a deal yesterday on a 64 Polara convertible that is one-owner, all original except bucket seat bottom covers, original drive train never been out, and it's a big block! It has the 383 4-barrel which was the biggest engine offered that year and it lived it's life in SoCal. I leave Sunday to go make the deal. Stay tuned!

If someone wants that Dart I'll send you the owner's number. I'm about to call him to let him know I'm out.

IMG_0565 - Copy.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

The price is $15k for this Dart. Body and paint are solid which is important if you don't want to get upside down in a hurry. All rebuilt mechanicals make it a solid car. I've was struggling with the decision until I made a deal yesterday on a 64 Polara convertible that is one-owner, all original except bucket seat bottom covers, original drive train never been out, and it's a big block! It has the 383 4-barrel which was the biggest engine offered that year and it lived it's life in SoCal. I leave Sunday to go make the deal. Stay tuned!

If someone wants that Dart I'll send you the owner's number. I'm about to call him to let him know I'm out.

View attachment 1457006
View attachment 1457007

Much better!

:thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back