• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Orange Wire From Steering Column

dodge68charger

Local time
5:52 AM
Reaction score
I Recently Purchased A Steering Column Turn Signal Wire Harness From Classic Industries for My 68 Charger.

I Noticed The New Harness Has 7 Wires and The Stock Harness Has 8 Wires. There is No Orange Wire on The Classic Industries Harness. What Is The Orange Wire For? Thanks

it's to light up the gear indicator

I went through this as well, the gear shift bulb wire is not part of the turn signal harness. That wire stays in the column when you remove the turn signal harness, it'll make sense when you take things apart. You'll de-pin it from the old connector and add it to the new one

Turning switch same as ign switchs on 70 and lates got this provision but not the wires, because not every car was column shifter. The orange wire is a separated wire just for the column shifter gear indicator. All underdash harnesses got it because they are all the same for all cars, but not every column harness of course, just those what needs it.

Same happens on ign switches to 70 and laters where this harness is the one what gets the column shifter wire, not anymore the turning switch.

Auto Transport Service
Back