• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original 1968 GTX

GTXMopar

Local time
12:49 AM
Reaction score
This is an original 1968 GTX with 34,000 miles on it that I am thinking about purchasing?Here are some photos under the hood.Can any of you experts pick up on anything that don't look right?I think the plug wires have been changed?

$_57 (2).jpg ENGINE.jpg ENGINE2.jpg

Could just be the pics, but the engine does not appear to be the "right" color ?

It's a '68.

RR 383 HP and GTX 440s were turquoise. Orange in 69+
unless you talking about the shade, then your probably right
or like you said color variance in photo

It's probably just the picture...the bottom of his pan is sans paint, the way it should be, as they got painted sitting on their pans. Someone might have resprayed the top though...

Here's Turquoise... flash..no flash.. double flash. It's like trying to photograph street hemi orange..
1969dartswingerweek7 066.JPG
1969dartswingerweek7 021.JPG
1969dartswingerweek7 022.JPG
1969dartswingerweek7 023.JPG

Well if you really want to get picky.....battery terminals/cables, electronic ignition/cap color, carb (most likely Eddy), plug wires, heater hose vc retainer, mc reservoir cap. The good thing is it looks like it retains the correct major parts like intake, exhaust, vc, air cleaner, hardware. Shouldn't take a lot to get everything oem correct, assuming that's what you're after. If not, whatever your taste is that's entirely up to the owner.

Radiator/core support should have black out paint applied. Looks like it is a very pretty car with the Turbine Bronze and Black trim combination.

Numbers at the back of the block on top where the oil pressure sending unit. Last eight
digits of the V.I.N. should be stamped on the block AND the trans. Now go stand in front
of the car and look at your top radiator/cross support. See the yellow sticker? just behind
that sticker on the vertical surface is the same number. Then go to the trunk area on the
driver's side. look right underneath where the trunk weather seal is glued to the rail. The
same numbers should be there. 68 didn't have a number stamped on the bottom of the
engine block. The pad may be there, but it should be blank.

225271_5c80a68c9e_low_res.jpg

Last edited:
colour in engine bay looks different to the outside. be careful if it didn't get a respray in time

Not all 68 cars had the partial VIN on the engine, and none of them had it on the body. The body number contains the SON, which will also be on the fender tag.

I have a 68 and I have numbers all over the place. One stamped in the lower cowl just over the heater
box, and in the floor pan underneath the rear seat, plus all the other locations. What is the SON number
you are talking about? Thanx!

The SO number is on the fender tag. The last six digits on the lower right. It will also be on the broadcast sheet. The body numbers on the rad. support in 1968 were, assembly plant, model year, fist digit of VIN, and SO number. The last eight digits of the VIN did not appear on the body until 1969, but you can't say never or always when talking mopar.

Radiator/core support should have black out paint applied. Looks like it is a very pretty car with the Turbine Bronze and Black trim combination.
What do you mean by black out paint?The car is suppose to have original paint.For some reason I feel like something just ain't right?Would you guys say this is a fairly well optioned car?I have lots of photos if someone could help me justify this car?

Numbers at the back of the block on top where the oil pressure sending unit. Last eight
digits of the V.I.N. should be stamped on the block AND the trans. Now go stand in front
of the car and look at your top radiator/cross support. See the yellow sticker? just behind
that sticker on the vertical surface is the same number. Then go to the trunk area on the
driver's side. look right underneath where the trunk weather seal is glued to the rail. The
same numbers should be there. 68 didn't have a number stamped on the bottom of the
engine block. The pad may be there, but it should be blank.

View attachment 1058740
Is there any numbers on fender tag that should match up the ID number???

What do you mean by black out paint?The car is suppose to have original paint.For some reason I feel like something just ain't right?Would you guys say this is a fairly well optioned car?I have lots of photos if someone could help me justify this car?
The panels that the radiator mounts to should be black so there is no body color visible through the grille. Usually done on almost all colors except maybe for dark green and black.

Is there any numbers on fender tag that should match up the ID number???
The vin sequence number and the (tag) SO number will be different on a '68. As previously mentioned, the SO # should be on the rad support and trunk lip.

Auto Transport Service
Back