• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SOLD Original 1970 440 HP Engine/Trans (Stored since early 70's)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTX JOHN

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:23 PM
Reaction score
Contact seller
I have a 1970 440 HP Engine that sat under the back patio .cover
of my Best friend who passed away a couple months ago.
It is complete including a complete Transmission/Converter.
It is date coded Feb 70 and has "906" Heads that match date code.
It has a Torquer 440 Manifold/ Mallory Ignition/Hooker Headers
(One header is bent up). It has Chrome Valve Coversw
It is out of his 70 Plymouth GTX per his brother.
It had a 6 Pack on it when he bought it but he bought it Used.
It is stamped HP on ID plate
I do not believe it was never taken apart
I am not a collector But = I had my son take pictures
of all the ID #s we could find.
It does have the Wide Six Pack (908)440/6 Rods (Hemi Width)
and offset Dampener.
It has been sitting for 45+ years untouched and I am sure that it
will require Rebuilding by now. However it is complete and intact
The power steering pulley is bent from taking engine out but
the pump is there.

$1,950. Complete
$1,800. Less Trans/Converter

I can call and give his family any "Reasonable" fair offers.
The engine is sitting in my Shop and ready for sale.

20210305_165857.jpg 20210305_165902.jpg 20210305_165907.jpg 20210305_165914.jpg 20210323_152536.jpg 20210324_181346.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 1970 440 HP Engine that sat under the back patio .cover
of my Best friend who passed away a couple months ago.
It is complete including Transmission/Converter.
It is date coded Feb 70 as I remember.
It has a Torquer 440 Manifold/ Mallory Ignition/Hooker Headers
(One header is bent up). It has Chrome Valve Coversw
I believe it is out of his 70 Plymouth GTX?
It is stamped HP on ID plate
I do not believe it was never taken apart
I am not a collector But = I had my son take pictures
of all the ID #s we could find.
It does have the Wide 440/6 Rods (Hemi Width) and offset Dampener.
It has been sitting for 45+ years untouched and I am sure that it
will require Rebuilding by now. However it is complete and intact
The power steering pu77mp pulley is bent from taking engine out but
the pump is there.

$1,950. Complete
$1,700. Less Trans/Converter
Pictures are required.

Does it turn? Untouched for 45 years and just stored under a patio cover doesn't speak well for care. Have you taken it apart to know about the rods?

Does it turn? Untouched for 45 years and just stored under a patio cover doesn't speak well for care. Have you taken it apart to know about the rods?
No sir =I have raced these cars since new and to "908" Six Pack style have a different Dampner that is offset
to compensate for the extra weight of the bigger wider rods. It is not balanced or compatible with the regular
535 rods. I am not a collector but I did have a Six Pack Roadrunner that held to NHRA National Record in B/S for quite a while and am quite familiar with these engines. I did not take off anything but one Valve Cover and
everything looked imtact and pretty clean. This is strictly a core engine and I would totally disassemble it and
rebuild it. I am doubtful that it would turn over without disassembling it and lubing everything. It will quite probably need boring and new pistons at this point. It belongs to my friends Widow and I am sell it for her as a core and not a running engine!

Last edited:
Tranny is a B/C body 283 2 barrel. Built 275 day of 68. Kim
Thanks for letting me know! I appreciate the help = I am a racer and not a collector and never paid attention to the numbers.
The engine is a 70 440 HP = I do know how to tell that much!
The trans was attached when I picked it up at his place
and do not know the history on it.
I posted all the numbers I could find = I know you guys know
your stuff and I do not want to disappoint anyone thru my lack
of knowledge on this stuff.

Yup. Buy it and crack er open.

Could you clean up the engine serial# pad a bit and repost, it's very difficult for me to make out the numbers. Thanks

I will but it will be Tuesday or Wednesday =
On my way to Texas to buy a Toterhome
The pad was already cleaned But numbers are not stamped
very deeply. I will try some more.

Question for the Forum = Is there a way to tell if it originally was a 4 Barrel or
Six Pack originally? It had a 6 Pack when he bought it a couple year old ( But the
Car is 40 plus years ago sold and I do not know the Vin. I pulled a Valve Cover and
the Valve Spring are much heavier looking than I have seen before and it has 6 Pack
Rods and Dampener.

The only way to know for sure is to match the VIN on the oil pan rail to a known V code 6 pack car.
ALL the HP/Magnum 440 engines in 1970 got the HD/six pack rods and matching damper whether they were 6 packs or 4 barrels.

The only way to know for sure is to match the VIN on the oil pan rail to a known V code 6 pack car.
ALL the HP/Magnum 440 engines in 1970 got the HD/six pack rods and matching damper whether they were 6 packs or 4 barrels.
I have seen a few and owned a couple of 1970 440 HPs with the heavy 908 rod and they had a regular damper on them. I have a motor home engine with a steel crank and the heavy rods but I can’t remember the year off hand. It also has the non weighted damper. Kim

I have seen a few and owned a couple of 1970 440 HPs with the heavy 908 rod and they had a regular damper on them. I have a motor home engine with a steel crank and the heavy rods but I can’t remember the year off hand. It also has the non weighted damper. Kim
The cast cranks engine have a wider heavier dampener than any steel crank engines
The 70 Six packs that I owned and raced ( NHRA National Record Holder ) had a Dampener
That was different than that and was unique early to the engines with the 908 Rods in early 70s.
My 69 440/6 Pack car that I bought new = It had the conventional 440 Steel
Crank Dampener. However, when I rebuilt it for racing- It had the narrow 535 rod
although it was a factory Six Pack Car.

Please see pictures - This is a 1/70 engine NOT a motorhome late engine. It is true some later
engines in Motorhome featured the 908 rods and a cast or steel crank = BUT NOT THIS ENGINE! You could
certainly rebalance any of the engines run any Dampener that would fit on the snout of the crank.

I know you are a racer- so am I. I will guarantee this IS a 1970 HP Engine = I truly believe that
it has never had the pan off it!
I am not a collector - just and old racer and do not claim to be an expect
on any of these cars.
I am a racer since early 60's
Goggle:

John Irving Drag Racer

Last edited:
The Oil pan only has numbers on it - Doe not have the first part of the VIN stamped at all that
I can see. Thank you for the help!

Things get confusing over the years but maybe I can help on this one since I own currently several six packs of 69/70 and 4 70 440 HP cars and/or original motors for them. 69 440-6 and 440-4 had the same rods and balancer. In 1970 they introduced Heavy rods for ALL 440-4 HP and 440-6 HP motors. They both had the same balancer and weighted torque converter. Some 72s HP even had this combo. Later in the mid 70’s they had 440 truck applications where they had the “heavy rods” or six pack rods as they are called, installed in combination with a standard internally balanced steel crank and a std balancer and flywheel. I’ve got one of those as well. They did not need the extra offset balancer because the pistons were lighter, low compression pistons. There is no way to tell if a 70 HP block is a six pack or not by the stamping. You could text one of the guys that has lots of data and might find the car by vin number and tell. Now if it has the original camshaft and it’s a three bolt cam, that would designate a six pack. Too bad you can get the vin. That might help you out. Ok edit here. I see the vin but can’t make out the numbers. If the second letter was an A, it might be from a Superbird with the sequence number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back