• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Air Cleaner Fit

FlagCraig

Local time
4:06 AM
Reaction score
If I swap out the original carb and intake on 67 GTX 440 to an Edelbrock or Holley Carb will the original Air Cleaner fit either one of these carbs?

Thanks.

Should fit with no problems. If in doubt get the height measurement from the manufacturer. Be cautious of the overall length of the hod down rod that screws into the new carb - some are a tad longer and can dent the hood.

I'm running a Holley on a Weiand 8009 manifold and the hood fits with no interference issues at all

Maybe I'm confused, but my original 383 air cleaner for a Carter did not fit a new Edelbrock. Isn't the old Carter a smaller diameter than the new, 5-1/8" carbs? Maybe height-wise things will fit, but I think the air cleaner base won't fit the carbs. Am I wrong? Was that the question? Or is the 440 carb physically larger?

The older AFBs had smaller top than later, don't remember when they changed.

The Carter 4-bbl carb on my '66 Imperial has a smaller carb base opening than the Carter AVS on my '66 Coronet.

Yes that is the question. I would like to keep my Super Commando Air Cleaner because it is cool. So I wanted to know if I switch carbs to a holley or edelbrock will it fit.

Maybe I'm confused, but my original 383 air cleaner for a Carter did not fit a new Edelbrock. Isn't the old Carter a smaller diameter than the new, 5-1/8" carbs? Maybe height-wise things will fit, but I think the air cleaner base won't fit the carbs. Am I wrong? Was that the question? Or is the 440 carb physically larger?

Auto Transport Service
Back