• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Black Paint

Detroit Iron

Local time
12:24 PM
Reaction score
I have a '64 Dodge Polara. The original color is white. I'm getting ready to paint the car, so I got my hands on a paint chip chart for 1964. After looking at the various colors Chrysler offered in 1964, I've decided I need the car to be black. (It's got a red interior.)

Here's my question. Is the black that Chrysler offered in 1964 the same as any black on the market today? I'm not opposed to changing the color of my car, but it must be a factory color.

If anyone has knowledge of factory colors, let me know your opinion on the blacks.

Should I have my paint shop use the Chrysler code for the black offered in 1964, or should I just have them mix up some black from a current model car? I want it to look stock and "correct". Thank you!

I think black is pretty much black.....except for the black Mopar currently uses. It's a metallic color, with colored metalflake in it. The easy thing would be to just have them mix it off the original code and call it good.

You'll have a hit being black with red guts

There are brown blacks and blue blacks so getting the code would be good if you are trying to go the factory route. The later 60's code is X9 and might be the same as the older cars.

I would go with X9 , Back in 64 Black was Black was Black, just one color with no variations, no metallics, plain and simple, ...........Plus, Black with Red interior is a striking color combination, I had a Black 68 Hemi Bee with red interior and tail stripe. Beautiful car.

If you are going dupont tell your paint jobber you want dupont stock#99k its black as black.

PPG was the original manufacturer of the 64 Dodge paint. You can find paint chip charts online, but the 64 seems to be missing. My 64 is ivory with red interior and through some research I found that it is exactly the same as the 65 ivory. Maybe black is the same, if so you're looking for "BB-01 Ebony Black 9300 9000".
Here is the chart I went off of:
1965-dodge-paint%20codes.jpg

If you want a "clean" Black, Chryslers Jeep Liberty uses a factory package black that has next to no toners in the formulation...you can see the difference when compared to other blacks. I agree with BuckNeccid, the blue blacks look better than ones that contain yellows/reds that make them more brown blacks...Most people don't realize that black is not always as it appears!

On another note...manufacturers today and in the past didn't always stick to one paint manufacturer, it has been a case of supply, demand and cost for many many years at the OEM level. An example would be a stock colour applied in 79 such as SR5 Chianti red on a Cordoba could be applied to a Dodge truck in another plant...and one plant used Dupont while the other was supplied by PPG. It happened then and it happens today. This is one reason why we have so many variations on colour when mixing paint today.

Just saying that I believe we can get hung up on details about what paint originally went on the car. Trust me, the paint the OEM used is nothing like the material we use in the aftermarket...Nothing at all! And to spray a car by 60/70's standards would be a mistake! Enamels, Laquers....yikes! We have it pretty good by todays standards and its been a blessing that we followed the European standard in the early 80's by slowly switching to BC/CC materials and urethane based surfacer.

Sorry for the rant...Saturday morning coffee infusion and my shop is freezing cold!

Auto Transport Service
Back