• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Carter 4 Barrel, stalls when shifted in to gear

QOTHL

Local time
7:34 PM
Reaction score
This carburetor was just rebuilt by an expert. Starts and runs well, not perfect but needs to be driven as it sat most of last year. I've adjusted curb idle and idle mixture screws.
I'm going to try and adjust the timing next but if anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it.

if timing was right before you added the carb why would you mess with it? vac leak maybe?

What's the engine build? Compression/cam/heads etc? Where's the timing at now? Timing needs to be squared away before attempting to tune the carb.

if timing was right before you added the carb why would you mess with it? vac leak maybe?

Checked for vac leak, that's not it unless I missed something. Timing might be an issue because of the problems that were fixed in the carburetor. I'd do a poor job of describing it so will say that the guy who fixed it says he re-sleeved something that would effect the fuel air mixture.

so was the car running and driving before you changed the carb? Or did you do engine and carb work at the same time? Now starting from scratch?

What's the engine build? Compression/cam/heads etc? Where's the timing at now? Timing needs to be squared away before attempting to tune the carb.
so was the car running and driving before you changed the carb? Or did you do engine and carb work at the same time? Now starting from scratch?

The simple answer to your question is that the car was running great for two years before having problems that were due to the carburetor and a rebuild by Holley who used parts that were damaged by ethanol. Never sending them another carburetor. This is the original Carter that came with the car, a numbers car. The engine has been rebuilt with the biggest cam that can be used without changing the stall converter. When it stops pouring out, I'll get the cam specs in the glove compartment. 107 is one of the numbers I remember. Don't know if that helps.

The simple answer to your question is that the car was running great for two years before having problems that were due to the carburetor and a rebuild by Holley who used parts that were damaged by ethanol. Never sending them another carburetor. This is the original Carter that came with the car, a numbers car. The engine has been rebuilt with the biggest cam that can be used without changing the stall converter. When it stops pouring out, I'll get the cam specs in the glove compartment. 107 is one of the numbers I remember. Don't know if that helps.
"Pouring out..."
HUH? It's 114° here! Okay I know, you're in Ken-tucky...been there done that!
Nothing like those summer storms...
At a guess I'm fairly certain your engine will want initial timing in the 16°-22° range. Time it there but if that gives you too much total advance you'll have to shorten the distributor curve. Plenty of help here if you need to go that route..

Nothing that he could have done to your carb would change the timing. What was the timing set at when the car ran? Did the car run and drive before the carb rebuild? If so, then I would look at the carb first. How did you check for the vacuum leak?
Sorry for all the questions.

That's what the carb expert is suggesting. Timing is advanced but I don't remember how much. It's a stock numbers engine with .30 over pistons and as I mentioned to someone else, the cam is the biggest cam possible without changing the stall converter. I'll be doing timing tomorrow.

"Pouring out..."
HUH? It's 114° here

That's too bad especially with rolling brown outs. I'm nice and cool and dry here inside. Outside a river is running down my driveway and there's a pond in front of my garage.

If the car was running great prior to carb issues, and all that you have done was work on the carb, the timing shouldn't be an issue.

That's too bad especially with rolling brown outs. I'm nice and cool and dry here inside. Outside a river is running down my driveway and there's a pond in front of my garage.
We're cooking here in Carolina. Low 90's with 1000% humidity. You sweat just looking outside.

All these years we've never experienced a "planned outage" as they like to call them:rolleyes:...
But hey that's what the swimming pool's for:D

Nothing that he could have done to your carb would change the timing. What was the timing set at when the car ran? Did the car run and drive before the carb rebuild? If so, then I would look at the carb first. How did you check for the vacuum leak?
Sorry for all the questions.

No, the timing wouldn't change because of the carburetor but what he fixed may likely require the timing be adjusted because the carburetor is working properly. Vacuum leak check: sprayed carb cleaner around the carb, tightened the bolts, no leaks. Clamped off all hoses one by one, no change. I know the timing was advanced, just don't remember how much.
The car (Emmett) was running great and was starting to really break in nicely. It kicked down like a beast!
You should be sorry! :D:poke::poke:

"Pouring out..."
HUH? It's 114° here! Okay I know, you're in Ken-tucky...been there done that!
Nothing like those summer storms...
At a guess I'm fairly certain your engine will want initial timing in the 16°-22° range. Time it there but if that gives you too much total advance you'll have to shorten the distributor curve. Plenty of help here if you need to go that route..

Thanks! Hope to get to it tomorrow.

So what dose it do that your not happy with. Not getting all the info. How does it do when driving. Did the carb and car set up for a year is that right. Are you running ethanol mixture in the car. I run every thing I have dry till the motor shuts off if not using it for a long time. Like lawn mower-Generator's and other equipment. Would do the same with my car if not going to start it up and run it for a while. Just drained all the gas out of my generator because it was not used all winter. More gas that I thought was in it. poured it into a white bucket and compared it to new fuel. What a difference 6 months made in what it smelled like and looked like. Hope you get it fixed soon so you get back on the road. Let us know what you find.

Personally I would not play with the timing I think its your carb. Did you use a vacuum gauge when setting the mixture screws? whats the RPM idling? auto or 4 spd

So what dose it do that your not happy with. Not getting all the info. How does it do when driving. Did the carb and car set up for a year is that right. Are you running ethanol mixture in the car. I run every thing I have dry till the motor shuts off if not using it for a long time. Like lawn mower-Generator's and other equipment. Would do the same with my car if not going to start it up and run it for a while. Just drained all the gas out of my generator because it was not used all winter. More gas that I thought was in it. poured it into a white bucket and compared it to new fuel. What a difference 6 months made in what it smelled like and looked like. Hope you get it fixed soon so you get back on the road. Let us know what you find.
As stated in her title, the car stalls when placed in gear.

All these years we've never experienced a "planned outage" as they like to call them:rolleyes:...
But hey that's what the swimming pool's for:D

I like my AC, can't work on stuff like the computer in a pool... I lived on the east coast most of my life. Really don't like the beach.

Got ya. Must have missed that. Did they change the Idle RPM. Is it an automatic trans. I think that it is.

Auto Transport Service
Back