• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Glass Surface Restoration?

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:30 AM
Reaction score
My original rear window has a lot of fine scratches or stress cracks not sure. They are very very fine. So I am wondering if there is any processing that can polish glass? Glass is I believe 5.5 on the Mohs Scale. Looking for a y tips or tricks for improvement.

Thanks MF

Toothpaste and micro clothes polish with hands. Works for me I like crest myself.

There is a cleanser called "Bar Keepers Friend" Someone posted about it,I tried it to remove wiper scratches from my windshield.Son-of-a-gun it worked ! Micro clothes and tons of elbow grease. Worked for me.

I used fine and super fine polishing compound with a 4 inch foam pad on the die grinder to clean up my windows. It took away most the scum and minor scratches. I also used to work on fiber optic equipment and to polish glass fibers we would use a series of fine grain sand paper. 3000k 5000k 8000k.

I believe someone also mentioned glass stove top cleaner as well.

Ron call Bo at Copperstate Classics and have Sarah order a new one. They are not all that expensive and way less effort.

Yah me.. but only use your fingers with it and not the supplied pad or you'll be SORRY!
I use that stuff on my cooktop with paper towels not sure how its abrasive enough to remove scratches in glass. In fact I am skeptical of tooth past being able to do that as well.....I would think that the hardness is the same as the cook top and wonder if you scratched the glass using a pad.

As for new back glass... Justin says to order it from ECS and you'll get something correct. I'm still waiting for some REAL close ups as to it's shape as I can't believe that the SAME place making them for AMD and ECS has two processes pending where it's going... this is new AMD and it's WRONG!
beerestorationfall2018 1149.JPG

I use that stuff on my cooktop with paper towels not sure how its abrasive enough to remove scratches in glass. In fact I am skeptical of tooth past being able to do that as well.....I would think that the hardness is the same as the cook top and wonder if you scratched the glass using a pad.

I spent a weekend with sandpaper (1000, 1500, 2000 grit), polishing compound, BonAmi, wool pads, foam pads and it looked no different....... Buy a new one and be done with it.

Last edited:
That's what she said, LOL! I thought it was you but wasn't 100% sure.
Yah me.. but only use your fingers with it and not the supplied pad or you'll be SORRY!

I've had luck with 0000 BRASS wool on major gunk.

ALWAYS test in a small spot first!!

Auto Transport Service
Back