• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Hemi and trans for sale (NOT MINE, but I wish)

Super cool. Worth 2x my entire car. Oh well, probably don’t need it quite that badly.

They're not selling for anywhere that kind of money anymore, in this day and age.
The seller will be keeping it, other than finding a buyer for it.
A very, very, limited market that he's trying to find.
The market has changed, and moved on, with 700 hp Hellcat engines now readily available to put into old body style cars.

Haaaa good luck ! Only guy that would maybe pay that is the guy who owns the super bee
426 hemis are $20-$25k all day

Haaaa good luck ! Only guy that would maybe pay that is the guy who owns the super bee
426 hemis are $20-$25k all day
im sure they are But,are you really gonna buy a used 426 and Not go thru it Yourself?
how much would that cost You?...
would it also come complete and ready right down to the air cleaner?
or that transmission?
so,that kinda brings his price into perspective...
25 for the engine,10 for the rebuild/recondition,and 3 for the trans.
suddenly seems logical,or at least close to it.
if you had a pristine body and needed a date coded hemi with 4 speed,this seems like a good buy.
( disclaimer,the current market is headed down at an astounding pace,ive seen chargers ranging from 12-2ok lately and Good projects too.)

Regardless of price, I'll admit to drooling a bit at the sight of that....

Everything rear of the engine is probably worth close to 6k.
So it’s 32 grand for the rest.
Originality, carbs, Exhaust manifolds, distributor, fuel pump correctness etc. is probably worth, what, 4 grand?. So now you’re at 28 for a re-ringed checked out motor? It’s lots of money fir sure.
I thought it would make more power than that

[QUOTE="4mulas, post: 911611659,
I thought it would make more power than that[/QUOTE]
Yeah, something doesn't seem right with the dyno sheet. Definitely should be putting out more than 440 hp and 440 ft lbs.

IF it was low miles, why change or rebuild the engine? Cam bad, rings bad, bearings bad, valves bad, etc? NO!! None of that stuff needed to be done. Install new gaskets and back together. I’d have it no other way and what he did is a waste of time and money

I know the guy. He does this kind of rebuild as a hobby. He is very well known in the early sixties Corvette world. This isn’t his first Hemi. He does quality work and is well respected.

I agree its intriguing. And with an 18 spline A833? Its not totally unreasonable in any other market climate. If I was to upgrade my non number's matching '69 GTX to a hemi? I wouldn't use a stock original. Just too many better performance options. Thus this motor is for a very small buyers list. JMO

Last edited:
The HP seams a little low for a new rebuilt hemi. I had Scott Harms do my carbs and the CFMs doubled from 300 CFMs to 600 Xs 2+= 1200cfms. My engine also professional down pushed out 582 hp and 558 lbs torq @ 5800 rpms. Mind you my engine with 5/8 stroke 20 over bore and points & condensers and hydro lifters (9-1`comp). My motor is mild compared to most hemis.

I will say.......... Scott Harms is a master hemi carburetor builder. i contribute my extra power from the stroke and carbs.

He must be pushing at least 500hp.

My 2 cents worth.

Too many other less costly options for big power today. people who need and can afford that engine/trans could probably be counted on one hand.

I'd rather have a built 440 than that 426, less tinkering...more driving and the valve covers don't cost 1200.00 bucks..IMO

I'd rather have a built 440 than that 426, less tinkering...more driving and the valve covers don't cost 1200.00 bucks..IMO
Every time I get the urge to yank the 5.7 HEMI out of my '08 Ram I look at the 440 sitting on the stand and talk myself out of it.

Every time I get the urge to yank the 5.7 HEMI out of my '08 Ram I look at the 440 sitting on the stand and talk myself out of it.
440's built right are tough as nails and hit like a hammer... hard to justify anything else really

Auto Transport Service
Back