• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Sheet Metal

I do. The last few cars I've owned have been original sheet metal cars. You may pay more up front, but they're cheaper in the long run.

I agree, how much Taiwanese replacement metal affects value ?

That's a loaded question. It takes a special kind of skill, knowledge & patience to remove & replace welded on body panels properly. There are some people here with tremendous talent who can handle this type of work, but for every one with talent, there's 15 more who are way over their head, especially when I see pictures of what's left of an unrecognizable B-body on jackstands in someone's garage minus the rotted quarters, floors, frame rails, wheelwells, etc., and it makes me wonder how bad all of those panels are going to line up.

Here's a perfect example:

Someone on dc.com is actually going to try to "restore" this heap....

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=133505.jpg

Yep. We used to see cars at nats 20 years ago that people would try to resurrect no chance in hell especially back then no panels available.

That's a loaded question. It takes a special kind of skill, knowledge & patience to remove & replace welded on body panels properly. There are some people here with tremendous talent who can handle this type of work, but for every one with talent, there's 15 more who are way over their head, especially when I see pictures of what's left of an unrecognizable B-body on jackstands in someone's garage minus the rotted quarters, floors, frame rails, wheelwells, etc., and it makes me wonder how bad all of those panels are going to line up.

View attachment 653203

View attachment 653204

View attachment 653205
Yikes! That is one I would never consider buying after it is done. Problem is that some poor sap won't have any idea what it started out as 20 years from now.

View attachment 653203

View attachment 653204

View attachment 653205
Graveyard cars
3 years
$100 grand
NO WAY

View attachment 653203

View attachment 653204

View attachment 653205
What's to restore ? only rust and bend metal

I saw that at the other forum , I don't think it even has a VIN . Not much left there even for parts .

I live in the desert so cars here with original metal are common. I've owned several. A few years ago a guy at Carlisle had a 2nd gen Charger body for 15K that was probably 80% reproduction metal. I stated that is was a Chinese Charger. He didn't like that but couldn't understand why nobody wanted to buy his car.

Satellite is 100% original with about 1/8 cup of filler at each quarter to rocker seam.
Only body work on the entire car.

Coronet only needs bolt on fenders due to dents and has nickel sized rust hole in bottom of one quarter behind wheel, trunk extension not compromised.

Wagon only needs one bolt on fender and floor pan work.

I replaced all the metal in my charger because countless others hacked it up and did a bad job.The gaps are good the body lines up better than factory and I used factory panels with AMD panels.I guess it’s not worth a lot but I built it and I’m happy with it. I was wondering what to call it.I will call it the Taiwanese Charger!

8A643A94-A586-4F05-9D39-BAFB7A8ED74E.jpeg D54C9254-EC22-415E-B980-5A687E2A3E88.jpeg 0DB28245-37D0-43E7-B0F4-3A0C51E51748.jpeg A86E8369-6BD9-4F61-A701-2149776E696E.jpeg DEA41554-331B-4FB3-87AE-DE4E9D23AB17.jpeg

I have two 70 Charger R /Ts from California, and both needed lower quarters and dutch panels. My purple Charger wasn't really rusty, but when I removed the passengers side rear quarter because it was side swiped,and there was so much sand and debris between the quarter and the lower rocker panel, wheel house and trunk extension, that I replaced both rear quarters and the dutch panel. The sand and debris between the panels probably wouldn't be an issue in the California desert where the car came from, but in the damp New England environment once it gets wet,it will rot the rear quarters on your freshly painted car. The panels I cut off the car were not good enough to use on the car, but were too good to throw away, so I built my desk from them!
20170622_124206.jpg

My '68 Satellite wears the original metal. A benefit of starting with a lo-po car that wasn't hot-rodded I guess. Being a CA car helps a bunch

My 66 Satellite has original sheet metal. Original owner moved to California for 4/5 years. Moved back after a small quake wife said we're outta here. Spent maybe 3 winters on the road in Connecticut. Small triangle in front of doors and front corners rear wheel wells will need attention, about 1 square foot max. Floors trunk solid.

Last edited:
I have two 70 Charger R /Ts from California, and both needed lower quarters and dutch panels. My purple Charger wasn't really rusty, but when I removed the passengers side rear quarter because it was side swiped,and there was so much sand and debris between the quarter and the lower rocker panel, wheel house and trunk extension, that I replaced both rear quarters and the dutch panel. The sand and debris between the panels probably wouldn't be an issue in the California desert where the car came from, but in the damp New England environment once it gets wet,it will rot the rear quarters on your freshly painted car. The panels I cut off the car were not good enough to use on the car, but were too good to throw away, so I built my desk from them! View attachment 653240
Thats really great job on the desk!!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back