• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Sheet Metal

My car is, but it hasn't been restored yet. The car was a PA car, so frame rails, trunk, rear quarters and wheel wells will need some attention.

Our car is all original metal. Had a few spots of pepper rust behind the wheel wells which was normal. I just cut out those spots and welded in new sheet metal which was not much. Pics below show the stripping process and how solid this car was.
60 .JPG
62 .JPG
64 .JPG
65 .JPG
66 .JPG

735 cans and bottles. The trunk of a Charger is a great recycle bin. That was from October til may. Once the trunk was full, it was time for the paint booth.

mine is still all 1964 metal its a west coast car.

my p/u was all oem sheet metal and paint until this woman hit me and push my pickup acrossed the street and over the curb on the other side of the street , wrecking both rear rims n one tire along with my never wrecked pickup . i'm not a fault at all , yet her insurance in trying to total my 64 d100 utiline , and not even looking at real world prices of these older pickups . my orangy . its not show , but its all hotrodded as the 60's could have been in the day . hp 383 , hot cammed , hi rise , afb , chrome valve covers , headers with cutouts , type writer 727 auto , limited slip dana , hd suspension , hd cooling system , tach n gauges , hotrod steering wheel and vintage american torq thrusts . all as it would have been in the 60's . oh ya i have geico and so does the woman that hit me . i well seeking another insurer after this is done maybe before , so they have to rebate me on the fees i paid them for coverage . my claim with geico didn't even get an estimate , just relied on the other persons claim deal with me . what a bunch of bs . so i've filed a claim against them (geico) with the state insurance board her in calif . geico has not even once put anything in writing and gave it to me . the estimate is on line i was told , ''you can print it for yourself '' i'm the one that got hit , and it is my p/u and i have to go get it , again what kind of bs is that . saving paper crap . so i'll be fixing it myself .and might have to sue that 90 year old woman that hit me . so i'll see what the insurance board can get done . oh ya that vise grip handle was replaced by the stock window crank handle prior to the insurance inspection , and i had to pull out the fender at the seen n put on the spare and i kicked the cab corner back some to get it off the step of the bed .
DSC06665.JPG
DSC09262.JPG
DSC00001.JPG
DSC08032.JPG
DSC00842.JPG
DSC00841.JPG
DSC00845.JPG
DSC00847.JPG
DSC00848.JPG
DSC00844.JPG

That's a loaded question. It takes a special kind of skill, knowledge & patience to remove & replace welded on body panels properly. There are some people here with tremendous talent who can handle this type of work, but for every one with talent, there's 15 more who are way over their head, especially when I see pictures of what's left of an unrecognizable B-body on jackstands in someone's garage minus the rotted quarters, floors, frame rails, wheelwells, etc., and it makes me wonder how bad all of those panels are going to line up.

Here's a perfect example:

Someone on dc.com is actually going to try to "restore" this heap....

View attachment 653203

View attachment 653204

View attachment 653205
Jiminy Crickets!!
I have a better one than that and its goin to the crusher!!

i believe you can file two claims one againest her policy and one againest your own. using the coverage from both to repair or settle for a buy out and then buy it back. also over and under coverage can play a big part in this. if it cost you more to fix then she has for coverage you can use yours to offset. but thats in arizona i don't know about crazy california. just a thought good luck

51C5EFD7-0720-42F9-B442-6870B269CC46.jpeg

Original metal so nice it’s a shame to cover it with paint.

My current 68 RR has all it's org sheet-metal
no hood I have a A12 6bbl hood instead

my p/u was all oem sheet metal and paint until this woman hit me and push my pickup acrossed the street and over the curb on the other side of the street , wrecking both rear rims n one tire along with my never wrecked pickup . i'm not a fault at all , yet her insurance in trying to total my 64 d100 utiline , and not even looking at real world prices of these older pickups . my orangy . its not show , but its all hotrodded as the 60's could have been in the day . hp 383 , hot cammed , hi rise , afb , chrome valve covers , headers with cutouts , type writer 727 auto , limited slip dana , hd suspension , hd cooling system , tach n gauges , hotrod steering wheel and vintage american torq thrusts . all as it would have been in the 60's . oh ya i have geico and so does the woman that hit me . i well seeking another insurer after this is done maybe before , so they have to rebate me on the fees i paid them for coverage . my claim with geico didn't even get an estimate , just relied on the other persons claim deal with me . what a bunch of bs . so i've filed a claim against them (geico) with the state insurance board her in calif . geico has not even once put anything in writing and gave it to me . the estimate is on line i was told , ''you can print it for yourself '' i'm the one that got hit , and it is my p/u and i have to go get it , again what kind of bs is that . saving paper crap . so i'll be fixing it myself .and might have to sue that 90 year old woman that hit me . so i'll see what the insurance board can get done . oh ya that vise grip handle was replaced by the stock window crank handle prior to the insurance inspection , and i had to pull out the fender at the seen n put on the spare and i kicked the cab corner back some to get it off the step of the bed . View attachment 653444 View attachment 653445 View attachment 653447 View attachment 653448 View attachment 653449 View attachment 653450 View attachment 653451 View attachment 653452 View attachment 653453 View attachment 653454
Yeah man to the insurance its just old truck, makes you really consider not driving them sometimes.

if you enjoy driving them , then enjoy driving them . and put the others careless drivers on the bus , for a time . every wreck that is their fault , gets a month on the bus . some folks would never be in a vehicle again and insurance co's need to get a clue on values of the vintage vehicles and their rare parts . it should based on current market values of sells ads . not a some total of the receipts of parts . after all i do think no one would be glad to get payoff in 1960's costs over todays replacement costs .

post 30 pic 7-

funny how all those dents and wicked bent and hard to fix parts...

that really cool wheel makes up for it :)

I am blessed with a couple of old Mopars with pretty much original sheet Metal. I did a couple of minor repairs on the 67 before I repainted it. The 64 has a little bubbling at the bottom of the LF fender that I will probably fix one day....

1964 Fury.jpg 19748804_1792275054121798_7789089071376060625_n.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back