• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Our boy bought a tesla !

YY1

Local time
1:45 PM
Reaction score
He’s a pretty hardcore tech guy so it was probably just a matter of time.

It’s an oddball model, too. A “standard” model 3 but with the dual motor AWD performance drivetrain option, but not a sport model. He said there were only 4 in the state with that option, and someone bought one of them while they were looking at it!

The driving experience is pretty strange-

First off, there are no instruments. Just a 15” monitor screen right in the middle.

That actually wasn’t too difficult to get used to. The speed is shown in the upper left corner.

Other than the gear selector and the turn signal, everything else is controlled from the touch screen.

There is a strip of real wood across the length of the dash, and above that a surround speaker bar.

I fit! All 6’3”, long spine an all. The roof is completely glass and has a roll bar about in the middle.

If it wasn’t for the extra 2.5”, the fit would have been much tighter.

The two oddest things about driving were the regenerative braking that kicks in as soon as you let off the throttle. There is no coasting. Zero. It feels like a mild brake application and you have to get used to when to let off the gas, er wattage. In that respect it actually felt similar to my CVT scooter. Apparently it has a processor controlled brake light that comes on since you are not actually stepping on the brake pedal!

Speaking of the wattage pedal, “neck snapping” might possibly be an understatement for the performance.

I kid you not. 0-60 in 3.3 seconds. That’s Ferrari quick! Quarter mile in 13.3 (which actually seems slow considering that 0-60 time). It literally snaps your neck and throws you severely back in the seat.

I had just pulled out onto our main road and at 30MPH, floored it. By the time my eyes made it to the speedo, we were doing 73.

(The sport model is 3.2 seconds 0-60 and the standard single motor model is 5.3- still not a slouch)

Combined motor HP is 473, but that instantaneous torque put a smile on everyone’s face every time!

…oh, and in other news, I’m gonna’ be a grandpa!

...and he just downloaded a firmware update that lets you "summon" the car from a parking space to where you (and your phone) are.

It needs a grille because this......

model-3-fascia-4.jpg

looks like this....
1_PAY-Kennedy-News-and-Media.jpg

Also, it needs a real dashboard. The screen looks like an afterthought laptop that was just stuck on....because it was.

Tesla-Model-3-infotainment-screen-1159186.jpg

Kind of reminds me of a porsche panamera.

It's different when you're in it.

I think I could have one.

I'm waiting on a report on their electric bill.

Range is 300 Miles on a full charge.

My Dakota is 277 on a full tank.

Renegade is 330.

How long does it take to recharge after the 300 miles, using a homes 110 volts?

If you notice, the car in my driveway has a slightly revised front end.

It has more of a splitter, different signal and running lights, and not as pronounced "snout".

I'm waiting on a report on their electric bill.

Range is 300 Miles on a full charge.

My Dakota is 277 on a full tank. And takes 5 minutes to refuel... At any conventional service station..

Renegade is 330. And takes 5 minutes to refuel...At any conventional service station..

The Tesla on the other hand requires either special charging equipment and significantly more time....

Level 3 Superchargers can take a Tesla from 0-170 miles range in just 30 minutes. It can get to 80% full in just 40 minutes. At the 80% point, charging slows to safeguard battery health.

Or you can charging it from a typical standard wall plug.... But....

Technically you can connect your Tesla to a standard 110v plug receptacle with the free adapter that comes with the car. But you can only charge slowly–at about 3 miles of range per hour parked. ... It will take up to 4 full days to fully recharge an empty Tesla car battery using a regular wall outlet.

The stock unit that comes with the car is 110 20A

But a 220V 30A (which is what they bought) is available and IIRC even a 50A.

He told me what the charge times were, but I don't remember.

...but you don't have to go to a gas station, you just go home.

Gotta count time to and from, not just start the clock when you put the nozzle in.

Pretty sure the 220V 30A charger time numbers are a lot better than what was posted for the 110V

Like I said, I'm still waiting to see what impact it has on their electric bill.

What it amounts to is this, they are great for running around town for the day to day stuff, if your gonna be home at night your probably fine... Unless you use the go pedal to aggressively.... If you plan to do a road trip cross country you better plan your trip based on charging stations... Many shopping malls have do charging facilities, I haven't seen many hotels with charging facilities...

I think I have seen one place with a charging station around here.

...and the municipal parking garage downtown.

hey, If I want non-eth gas in my 73, my options are limited as well.

I think I have seen one place with a charging station around here.

...and the municipal parking garage downtown.

hey, If I want non-eth gas in my 73, my options are limited as well.

But if you had to your 73 will run on ethanol spiked fuel & the tank will be full in 5 minutes... With the Tesla the charge station at the mall or municipal garage isn't a Tesla supercharge charging station so it's not the type that will get you an 80% charge in 40 minutes (35 minutes longer than a full tank in your gasoline powered vehicle)

Like I said fine around town, don't try a Cannonball Type event...

A grownups Sizzler. They look different but neat looking. Those handles pop out when you press the fob? Like the Range Rovers?

"... It will take up to 4 full days to fully recharge an empty Tesla car battery using a regular wall outlet.":eek:

If I'd of known grandkids were so much fun, we'd of had them 1st! Congratulations!

Grand kids are great.....especially when after you spoil them, they get to go home with their parents and gripe 'why can't y'all be like granmaw and grampaw!!' lol Congrats! Haven't heard much news on more charging stations going in place but with BM getting away from hybrids and going all electric, I'm sure there will be many more going in.

Auto Transport Service
Back