• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Our supermarket shelves are already emptying.

That Colorado "bomb cyclone" reminds me of the big-*** snowstorm in late 1978, I used to drive 55 miles one-way to work, and we drove in all that. Mind you, they finally did close roads, but lots of folks were out in that, me included. Only recall two snow days in the 12 years I was in school. I don't recall runs on stores for basic stuff. We always had food stored either in the freezer or the pantry, plus my parents owned a restaurant. Had the right tires on the cars. No worries.

These days? I operate like my Dad did. When you have tornadoes in Spring (actually, year-round!) and freak ice storms, you have to be ready. Common sense seems not to exist with many, unfortunately. When people stock up on perishables in sketchy circumstances, you just have to wonder.

I never understood the panic buying over snow.
The worst “winter storm” I ever saw was in 1993. Several feet of snow overnight.
Within 24 hours EVERY road was clear and every store was open.

It's tough to live in the country in Vermont during the winter and try to go shopping every few days...lol. We all have big freezers and fridges, lots of us have two fridges and chest freezers too. Once a month or less. Be prepared! lol.

I don't know how you northerners do it. Stay safe and warm.

This storm has the possibility of being an all time record breaking snowfall! At least at this time of year it won't last long.
Tab5FileL.png

OH Man, you had me worried, I was thinking of something else! Stay safe!!!

thumb_124914467_365499137860580_1991478644929328031_n-8809111428.jpg

yeah like 50* today, light sprinkles
supposed to be clear up some tomorrow & the week end
was sunny this AM, now all clouded up again
we wer under a severe winter warning until like 6:00pm yesterday

I wonder if it's the same **** that blew thru here ?

My cousin upcountry about 11 miles had 35 trees
mostly smaller trees, but a couple of bigger cedars
tops snap off, wreaked havoc took out his dog run
taking out by the amount of wet snow, then freezing
& then high winds, rinse & repeat

the storm took out a couple of power lines & transformers
for like 50 sq miles

Snow 'Sierra Cement' was really wet & deep,
couldn't get in there
trees falling or breaking off & blocking roads etc.
plows & equipment couldn't get thru for like 2 days

He said he was out of power (landline phone too) for 10 days
we were only down for 8-9 hrs & like a couple of hrs another day
over a 7 day period
It's a good thing he had a good supply of propane & firewood

We got snow/wind here too, just not as much
a couple of feet total, 6"s at a time seems,
this last go around
warm-up & melt off, then nightfall get another 6"s
wake up to all white, then melt off again, what a mess

stay dry & warm, throw another log on the fire
still better than living in the shitty or valley

Last edited:
80* yesterday.
50* today.
28* forecast for Sat night.

Another day of psychotic WX in OK.

I think the state line between Colorado and Wyoming is going to catch most of it. I feel bad for any livestock and wildlife. I've seen times they had to helicopter hay in for cattle. All this area is called the High Plains. We are at Monument Pass. Also called the Palmer Divide. It's where water either flows north to the Platte River or south to the Arkansas River. It can stop a lot of storms. Denver will be bad but not us so much. The county already has Mag Chloride spread on the roads. I had to take Grandma to the supermarket at noon. It was crazy. No shopping carts left.

It's still sunny and in the 40's now.

Last edited:
Our store shelves out here in BFE have been scarce for well over a year now on everything from food, vitamins, paper products, and pet foods to cat litter. I had to start buying my shop alcohol (not liquor lol) online by the gallon because it's impossible to find locally.

Good luck with the storm! I miss Colorado.

I think the state line between Colorado and Wyoming is going to catch most of it. I feel bad for any livestock and wildlife. I've seen times they had to helicopter hay in for cattle. All this area is called the High Plains. We are at Monument Pass. Also called the Palmer Divide. It's where water either flows north to the Platte River or south to the Arkansas River. It can stop a lot of storms. Denver will be bad but not us so much. The county already has Mag Chloride spread on the roads. I had to take Grandma to the supermarket at noon. It was crazy. No shopping carts left.

It's still sunny and in the 40's now.

Are you kidding Steve? Where are you from again? Massachusetts? :rofl:
It always stays warm right before a good snow storm here. But I guess you wouldn't know that.
Any responsible rancher had his livestock in 2 days ago, I guess you wouldn't know that either. The wildlife has been dealing with this stuff for centuries, long before people like you came in and trashed this state. But I guess you probably didn't realize that either.

Get all cozy and pretend you're living like a mountain man when the 8 inches hits the Tri Lakes Area, (BTW, you are not in the high plains who told you that?). One of the most overrun trashed out parts of the state IMHO.

I'm about 20 miles south of the WY/CO border. They're still calling for 24"-30" here. I'll believe it when I see it. Wouldn't be the first time they cried "Storm of the Century" and we end up getting 2 inches. But then again since you transplanted in here only 5 years ago you probably wouldn't know that either.

I'm not even too worried about a power outage which is bound to happen in a wet heavy one like this. Is your generator gassed up Steve?

Last edited:
Wow, this the second time you've attacked me on this forum. Been here 21 years but I was raised in Tornado Alley. I'm not sure what your problem is but GTF over it.

Don't you remember how perfectly I shut you up and showed you as a fool last time?

Last edited:
Wow, this the second time you've attacked me on this forum. Been here 21 years but I was raised in Tornado Alley. I'm not sure what your problem is but GTF over it.

Don't you remember how perfectly I shut you up and showed you as a fool last time?
Attacked you? You perfectly shut me up? I guess it didn't stick.
Go home Steve, go home.

Are you kidding Steve? Where are you from again? Massachusetts? :rofl:
It always stays warm right before a good snow storm here. But I guess you wouldn't know that.
Any responsible rancher had his livestock in 2 days ago, I guess you wouldn't know that either. The wildlife has been dealing with this stuff for centuries, long before people like you came in and trashed this state. But I guess you probably didn't realize that either.

Get all cozy and pretend you're living like a mountain man when the 8 inches hits the Tri Lakes Area, (BTW, you are not in the high plains who told you that?). One of the most overrun trashed out parts of the state IMHO.

I'm about 20 miles south of the WY/CO border. They're still calling for 24"-30" here. I'll believe it when I see it. Wouldn't be the first time they cried "Storm of the Century" and we end up getting 2 inches. But then again since you transplanted in here only 5 years ago you probably wouldn't know that either.

I'm not even too worried about a power outage which is bound to happen in a wet heavy one like this. Is your generator gassed up Steve?
No, Steve isn't from Masshole! Wait, why do I care? Left that place 58 years ago!! Both of y'all please get over it and stop the crap. Thanx

Auto Transport Service
Back