• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Out the top or through the bottom? 400CI 74RR

Takoctopus

Local time
9:58 PM
Reaction score
So I have sheet metal work to do and will be removing the engine. Any advise on which way to go with it? I’m steering more towards dropping it out the bottom but interested in people’s ideas with experience. Thanks

So I have sheet metal work to do and will be removing the engine. Any advise on which way to go with it? I’m steering more towards dropping it out the bottom but interested in people’s ideas with experience. Thanks
They went in from the bottom at the factory. IMO that's the easiest way back in. If you have access to a lift, that is the only way to go.

Yup

20160406_105235.jpg

Yes, the factory installed from underneath. It depends on how whether you want to remove the K frame and suspension or not...it's gotta come out if dropping but can stay in if you pull the engine from the top.

IF your going to spend the time painting up the engine bay then I would suggest bringing it in from the bottom, less likely to scratch up that fresh paint and you can assemble a lot more of the engine/suspension before hand before install.

Mine was a roller long before the motor went in so I put the motor and tranny in together through the top. It's very easy but requires the car to be elevated quite a bit to allow for a pretty good angle without the tailshaft hitting the floor.
Simple answer is.. If you want to be able to push it around then take it out the top, if your going to refurbish the K member and front suspension then take it out the bottom.

From underneath....how you guys manage to go in from the top without scuffing and scratching the paint up I'll never know!

Lots of votes for out the bottom! I have to replace those k member donuts so might as well do it all at once. Thanks for the ideas

From the bottom too

thumbnail_20150321_183202.jpg

From underneath....how you guys manage to go in from the top without scuffing and scratching the paint up I'll never know!
first engine swap.jpg

It ain't easy, trust me, especially with the transmission on too.
As this pic shows, the assembly is a lot longer than the opening in the car, so from here, severe angles must be used.
Guy underneath the car, guy above steering, another guy manning the lift usually...
Unless you're me, in which case I become all those guys usually. :)

Last edited:
I put them in from the top for may years and then someone told me about putting them in from underneath, total game changer, so much easier and better going from underneath.

View attachment 1007763
It ain't easy, trust me, especially with the transmission on too.
As this pic shows, the assembly is a lot longer than the opening in the car, so from here, severe angles must be used.
Guy underneath the car, guy above steering, another guy manning the lift usually...
Unless you're me, in which case I become all those guys usually. :)
I have never put an engine in from the bottom. I just put a stroked 400 and transmission into a 76 Aspen R/T from the top by myself and I was 69 years old. I do not understand your problems. Not making fun just do not understand the problems you are having.

I do not understand your problems. Not making fun just do not understand the problems you are having.
"Problems"? If I've done one swap, I've done 50. I reckon they all got done just fine....
This whole threads' purpose was comparing top install vs. bottom. You understood that, right?

It appears you do yours as I do mine. If anything then, there should be some manner of agreement
here, I'd think - unless of course, you just wanted to brag a bit about doing it at age 69.
Congrats on that, of course - that's no mean feat! :thumbsup:

Ok - now, by way of comparison, since we're thumpin' chests and bragging a bit here....
Out of curiosity, have you done any by yourself after having survived cancer - 4 times now -
and flatlining 3 more times in the last decade or so - despite missing some internal organs and
going against doctors' orders?
I have.
Several...
Now I'M done braggin'. :)

Dang Ed sounds like you've been to through a lot but sounds like you're also one hell of a fighter. :drinks:
For years I did it from above because I didn't have the equipment or smarts to do it from underneath.
One thing I do like about A bodies is that you don't have to remove the hood like on B and E bodies.
Then I come across this lifting bar that bolts to the frame and that changed things for me.
Now I have a lift to make it even easier.
Not everyone has a lifting bar or a lift so ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
Buy the way a big ol fat Indy Hemi does not fit from underneath like a factory Hemi does. About 3" wider. That was a bit of work.

20161016_151021.jpg 20160406_105235.jpg 20170405_122630.jpg 20180422_190548.jpg

Dang Ed sounds like you've been to through a lot but sounds like you're also one hell of a fighter. :drinks:
For years I did it from above because I didn't have the equipment or smarts to do it from underneath.
One thing I do like about A bodies is that you don't have to remove the hood like on B and E bodies.
Then I come across this lifting bar that bolts to the frame and that changed things for me.
Now I have a lift to make it even easier.
Not everyone has a lifting bar or a lift so ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
Buy the way a big ol fat Indy Hemi does not fit from underneath like a factory Hemi does. About 3" wider. That was a bit of work.

View attachment 1011209 View attachment 1011210 View attachment 1011211 View attachment 1011212
Man, that's some gorgeous stuff you got there, my friend. *envy*
I sense a theme... :)
Don't get me wrong, I wanna do at least one from underneath before I'm done.
The thought of all that brake plumbing, steering, suspension and so forth - not to mention, not having
the equipment - has kept me from it so far, but that's overcome with some $$$ and time, of course.
This last time on Fred would have been the perfect time to do it, if not for the fact that I had just gotten
him perfect on alignment and such and didn't want to upset any of that.

These were all ground up builds so from underneath just made since. Believe me I've stabbed them from the top many a time. Still do if a motor R&R is all I'm doing.
Will be swapping a 350 for a 455 in a 70 Pontiac soon from the top but of course that is a full frame car.
To bad we are not closer I'd gladly let you use my lifting bar.

I totally agree doing it from the bottom. Disconnect the torsion bars, upper control arms, steering, K member and transmission mount and drop away! Much more controlled and easier too, since you can connect headers, starters, and accessories before the engine install.

Highly recommend it if you haven't done it before. I will never go back to doing it from above.

I think this question can be answered by a simple, What kind of equipment do you have and what time are you willing to devote to the project. Most people I know do it in a Garage with just an engine hoist and floor jack. I have done many and always from the top. So depends on your equipment or lack of.

Like most, I put them in and taken them out from the top for years. A friend who was a resto guy told me and showed me how to put them in from the bottom and I have to say I will probably never put another one in from the top. If you have a hoist, then you are almost there. I know it seems like a lot more work and it is to a point but the end result and lack of stress over smashing a fender, gouging a inner fender, etc. is worth it.

Like most, I put them in and taken them out from the top for years. A friend who was a resto guy told me and showed me how to put them in from the bottom and I have to say I will probably never put another one in from the top. If you have a hoist, then you are almost there. I know it seems like a lot more work and it is to a point but the end result and lack of stress over smashing a fender, gouging a inner fender, etc. is worth it.
Sorry my mistake, a cherry picker not a hoist. Will never happen from the bottom.

Auto Transport Service
Back