• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Over heating with my 63 Plymouth with a 8 71 Supercharged 440

jgnewhall

Local time
2:57 PM
Reaction score
Even though I have a thermostat that is supposed to kick my 10 " electric fan on at 180 degrees, it still wants to overheat. The electric fan is in front of the radiator due to there being no room to put it behind the radiator. I'm running a stock water pump. I ran into a guy with a blown Hemi who asked me if it overheats . He said he finally cured his overheating problem with a more stock sized pulley that drives the water pump and by changing his water pump to a , what I thought he said, water works water pump. Anyone know of this brand or can offer ideas on how to fix this problem ? All help is appreciated. Thanks , John
BAMM !! 4-1-14.jpg

Well, I have never heard of a water works water pump
Many GREAT builders on this forum, some with set-ups like yours

Also, there are better Thermostats AFTER you solve your mis-matched pulleys...
Perhaps you need to "Over Drive" your Pump?

This is one T-stat, but others are out there: MotoRad is the only thermostat manufacturer to offer three different quality ranges for thermostats. The good thermostat meets OE Standards, while the better High-Flow MotoRad thermostat increases overall coolant flow in the engine. The best offering is MotoRad’s patented Fail-Safe. In the event of overheating, the patented Fail-Safe thermostat locks in the open position allowing coolant to continue to flow to the engine.

PS: Look up and PM fellow forum member "Hemi-Its"
He is in long Island, a BIG racer, smart guy etc.
He's disease is of course incurable...he's Fully Blown!

Give him a PM

Is this the first time you've had it out or is it something that just started happening?
It's been ongoing for a while now. It used to run a little hot and then it began overheating partially because I didn't know that the electric fan had stopped working but I replaced the fan with an identical one and the problem still exists .

PS: Look up and PM fellow forum member "Hemi-Its"
He is in long Island, a BIG racer, smart guy etc.
He's disease is of course incurable...he's Fully Blown!

Give him a PM
Yes, I should contact him. We've spoken before. Thanks

Nice ride. This may sound like an insane question but is your fan actually pushing and not pulling? Also, is that really a 10" fan? It looks larger. Would the addition of a shroud assist with directing more (hopefully cooler) air through the radiator. I'm not familiar with Water Works but would think any good high volume pump would help. One last thought: I'm not a big fan of additives but as a temp fix, Water Wetter has gotten me out of a few jams. GL.

Not many members here understand how critical IAT's are to a forced induction engine, but expecting a pusher fan to cool your 8-71 Blown BBM on the street is.. Madness.. :realcrazy:

Questions;
AFR @ idle?
Timing?
How are you controlling timing?
Cam specs?
Compression?

This may also be time to call a reputable manufacturer that builds proven radiators, such as Ron Davis, Griffin, or C&R. You really need to figure out a way to shoehorn an electric fan setup on the other side, a pusher will not cool down a BBM (been there, done that).

There are intercooler kits available for roots builds, big money however.

To give you some ideas, I run a triple-pass 'summit racing brand' Northern radiator, 7-blade fan, air-to-water intercooler, and 160* thermostat. This is what it took to keep my turbo BBM's temps down with the IAT's a turbocharged application produces. You're battling something well beyond 99% of typical cooling solutions will solve, just do a quick search on 'overheating 8-71's' and you'll find a plethora of information available on Chevy forums.

Last edited:
I was having the same thoughts!

This is your car?! Sweet :thumbsup:

I'll be watching my speed if I'm ever in NY!

Feel free to post more pics and info.
8 71 Supercharged 440 dual 750 Holley blower carbs with 727 push button reverse manual trans , 4:10 gears .
029.jpg
032.jpg
'63 at the track.jpg
63 dash.jpg
63 plymouth @ C port 6-14-16.jpg
63 stance.jpg
20150926_160312.jpg
FB_IMG_police cars 63 plymouth and newer.jpg

Thank You Everyone . Will keep trying to figure this situation out . I must also contact Himi itis . Thanks again. Great advice.

I feel your pain .I went through the same crap. pushers / pullers yada yada yada tried every combo was o.k. driving but if I got into a traffic situation i was in trouble
part of the problem is shrouding , you don't have enough,you need to seal up the radiator so the fan can do its job efficiently.
because of the blower pulley clearance problem I relocated
the radiator to mount in front of the support .know you can shroud the complete radiator from behind and put two puller fans.or one big puller.
I used one big son of a bitch electric fan from believe it or not a 2003 volvo xc70 this thing fit where the radiator use to be , its one unit and it just about covered the entire radiator support opening. problem solved if you decide to go this route install on a relayed switch, she draws some amps. good luck. www.1aauto.com/volvo-radiator-cooling-fan-assembly/i/1arfa00235?f=346055&utm_campaign=gb_csv_nobr&utm_content=RFA&gclid=CLPc7ufR2dACFQKHswodsRIMQg
large.jpg

Picture 369.JPG Picture 380.JPG Picture 488.JPG

Hey guys! Could you show us your water pump and pulley? I have a stock style recored radiator that I recored with the high efficiancy style core.The cooling lines are closer together and now holds over a gallon more fluid.Also timing and jetting is very important.If it is on the lean side it will run hot!
BTW,,how long do you have that car?? Seen it around for many years!!
4.23.12 020.jpg 5.19.12 011.jpg 5.19.12 012.jpg 8.18.13 078.jpg 8.18.13 079.jpg 10.11.16 007.jpg 10.11.16 012.jpg 10.11.16 013.jpg

Haven't been able to get on here for a while . Will get some pictures .

Have been working on the problem with no success. My next step is I'm replacing the stock water pump with a Flow Kooler high flow pump and replacing the thermostat with a Robert Shaw thermostat. I'm currently running standard anti freeze but am considering using Evans Coolant. Thoughts? What has been anyone's experience with Evans? Other coolant choices? 40 below, water wetter ? I have a low compression motor ( about 7 lbs ). Please let me know , Thanks .

I feel your pain .I went through the same crap. pushers / pullers yada yada yada tried every combo was o.k. driving but if I got into a traffic situation i was in trouble
part of the problem is shrouding , you don't have enough,you need to seal up the radiator so the fan can do its job efficiently.
because of the blower pulley clearance problem I relocated
the radiator to mount in front of the support .know you can shroud the complete radiator from behind and put two puller fans.or one big puller.
I used one big son of a bitch electric fan from believe it or not a 2003 volvo xc70 this thing fit where the radiator use to be , its one unit and it just about covered the entire radiator support opening. problem solved if you decide to go this route install on a relayed switch, she draws some amps. good luck. www.1aauto.com/volvo-radiator-cooling-fan-assembly/i/1arfa00235?f=346055&utm_campaign=gb_csv_nobr&utm_content=RFA&gclid=CLPc7ufR2dACFQKHswodsRIMQg
large.jpg

View attachment 376779 View attachment 376780 View attachment 376781

Thank you for the info .

Call Al, at Big Al's Toy Box. Look it up.
He told me, No thermostat and use a smaller pump pulley.
He sells them.
Worked for me!!!!!

I had to install a new fan a few weeks ago.I had installed a $200 Afco aluminum radiator a month ago for the weight saving.Used that dual set up I have been using for 10 years.It never went over 200* in bumper to bumper traffic.Well,,,,,,during a pass at Atco one of the fans centrifugally exploded at 130 MPH.I saw a small chunk fly up and came right at me but just went over the windsheild in the airstream.I installed a single Spal 16 inch pusher fan that is rated over 2000 CFM.Install was a breeze and I NEVER had this much air through the rad!!Blows so hard it cools the WP when the engine is off and the fan is on:).Bought mine at Jegs ..........

5.19.12 012.jpg 8.18.13 079.jpg 10.11.16 011.jpg 10.11.16 013.jpg 10.15.17 005.jpg 22688850_10212759127684415_2673745587033182633_n.jpg

what coolant system psi are you guys making . the cylinders walls get bubbles on them that keep the coolant off them . high psi coolant systems cools better , all the bonny saltflats racers i've been talking with , talk about 50psi cooling systems , nascar boys do a high psi system as well . in fact my water pump i'm converting to my early hemis is an adams pump for the chevy used in nascar . big cams , and heat from that rotating blower raise base temps just at idle . and i thought there is a heavier cooling mopar pump .

Auto Transport Service
Back