• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overcharging problem.

Rusty knuckles

Local time
3:20 PM
Reaction score
69 charger with 383. I just replaced the engine wiring harness. I had upgraded to electronic ignition previously and ordered a harness updated for that. Unfortunately what came is more or less a 1970 and up harness so I opted for the solid state voltage regulator and dual balast resistor. I also retained the 69 single field alternator and used this schematic to adapt it to the dual field harness by just making a short jumper wire that goes under the brush screw and goes to the green wire of the harness.
pic3.png

Everything seemed to work well but my voltage regulator doesn't appear to be working. My ammeter pegs out around 2200 rpm. I've verified its grounded. I think maybe I didn't do something right in adapting the single field alternator to the dual field harness. Any thoughts? Do I need to insulate the ground brush from the alternator?

YES. You've currently grounded out the green wire so your regulator is going full field.
I suspected as much. Should I just use a fiber washer between the brush holder and the alternator body?

I should also add I unplugged the green wire completely and there was no change

I would just get a dual field alternator.
The kind with the square back.

I should also add I unplugged the green wire completely and there was no change
Yep, because your "green" brush itself is grounded making the blue wire on the other spade full field the regulator as well. You're lucky you didn't burn up the wiring..

Order a set of Standard Motor Products #CX1T on Rock Auto ($6 for a pair)or a local parts store.
These are both insulated brushes and you can put them in your current alternator .Now you can use the 1970-up Voltage regulator.

Order a set of Standard Motor Products #CX1T on Rock Auto ($6 for a pair)or a local parts store.
These are both insulated brushes and you can put them in your current alternator .Now you can use the 1970-up Voltage regulator.
Thanks! Precisely what I was looking for.

even better is getting one of those 1970-up voltage regulators with the adjustable pot on the back. Easy to dial in and works great.

EXCELLENT INFORMATION AND SUGGESTION....For $9.00 plus tax a simple fix....
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back