• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overdue Introduction - 1966 Belvedere II

AndyOpi66

Local time
6:57 PM
Reaction score
Good Evening All,

I have been a lurker for a few years on this website, and finally thought it was a good-time to introduce myself and my Mopar. My names Andrew, but I also go by a family nickname that stuck Opie. Just like the boy from the Andy Griffith Show, if any one is wondering the pronunciation. My dad was the one who passed on the love of Mopar iron, as he has owned a 69' 4 - speed Super Bee for a little under 40 years. Over the years I always helped him wrench on the car and do little things to help restore it and keep it on the road. This led to the desire for me to also own a b-body one day.

About 6 years my opportunity came knocking when a second cousin was looking to sell his 1966 Belvedere II sedan. Although, not my first choice for a B-body to purchase the price was right and the car has a handsome look and is very clean (almost no rust!). So I pulled the trigger purchased the car and drove her over 300 miles home! The little 273 gave me no issues and I made it home without any wrenching needed.

Satellite Old Photo.jpg

You may also notice the car also was cloned to look like a Satellite. The Belvedere II specific trim was removed and the holes properly filled before it was painted what I believe is a 2005 Magnum R/T color. I personally didnt mind the look of the full length trim on Belvedere models, but this was done long before I bought the car. Now while the 273 was adequate for getting around town it never gave off the Muscle Car era vibe and sound I was looking for so I sought out a Big Block. My father and I like the 383 engine, since it was always overshadowed by the 440, so I picked one up including the proper 727 transmission and swapped her in. I like to think the car now has the "heart" of a Road-Runner so it gives a little more presence. (The swap did take me almost 5 years to do, the usual suspect time just wasnt on my side.)

Engine pic.jpg

This last picture is how the car sits currently, more has obviously been done but I will try to address this in a proper build thread. I still need to get the proper larger torsion bars and have the exhaust finished but she is done enough to cruise around town for now. Nice to meet you all officially and let me know if you have any questions!

Satellite Current State.jpg

Welcome aboard from the Pacific Northwest. Great story and that’s a beautiful more door you have. Sounds like you are getting good smiles to the miles. B bodies rock and more doors are no exception.

Welcome from not-too-far west of you Andrew. Glad to have you on board and to hear your Bel's story. What a great looking car!!

Welcome from the left coast. Great score/project and story.

Welcome from Pennsylvania!

I think your car looks sweet, and I'm sure the 383 has given it a welcome extra kick!

Nice.

Welcome from NY.
A 66 is a sharp looking 4 door and the blue paint looks really nice.
But a 66 Satellite has full length molding along the top of the fender along with wheel lip molding and rocker molding.

Like this:
dddvCF1C0PZd94gv0igStCLmg=w1248-h935-no?authuser=0.jpg

Welcome to FBBO from Ontario. Nice Belvedere and story.

Welcome aboard from Ohio.

welcome to FBBO

Welcome from Alabama, 66-67's are great no matter how many doors.

Welcome from Missouri!!

Welcome from NY.
A 66 is a sharp looking 4 door and the blue paint looks really nice.
But a 66 Satellite has full length molding along the top of the fender along with wheel lip molding and rocker molding.

Like this:
View attachment 1396264
Don,

Thanks for pointing that out! As much as I would like to re-create the entire proper look of a Satellite clone, I am trying to keep this more budget oriented since she is a more door car. So I am keeping the budget aimed more towards speed parts. I appreciate the compliment!!

Thanks for the compliments everyone, and yes the 383 was a welcome upgrade. This upcoming summer I am hoping to put more miles on her and really enjoy the upgrade. She still has highway gears (2.94), so she really doesn't get up and go until I am rolling at speed but man does it sure sound nice doing it!

Good Evening All,

I have been a lurker for a few years on this website, and finally thought it was a good-time to introduce myself and my Mopar. My names Andrew, but I also go by a family nickname that stuck Opie. Just like the boy from the Andy Griffith Show, if any one is wondering the pronunciation. My dad was the one who passed on the love of Mopar iron, as he has owned a 69' 4 - speed Super Bee for a little under 40 years. Over the years I always helped him wrench on the car and do little things to help restore it and keep it on the road. This led to the desire for me to also own a b-body one day.

About 6 years my opportunity came knocking when a second cousin was looking to sell his 1966 Belvedere II sedan. Although, not my first choice for a B-body to purchase the price was right and the car has a handsome look and is very clean (almost no rust!). So I pulled the trigger purchased the car and drove her over 300 miles home! The little 273 gave me no issues and I made it home without any wrenching needed.

View attachment 1395890

You may also notice the car also was cloned to look like a Satellite. The Belvedere II specific trim was removed and the holes properly filled before it was painted what I believe is a 2005 Magnum R/T color. I personally didnt mind the look of the full length trim on Belvedere models, but this was done long before I bought the car. Now while the 273 was adequate for getting around town it never gave off the Muscle Car era vibe and sound I was looking for so I sought out a Big Block. My father and I like the 383 engine, since it was always overshadowed by the 440, so I picked one up including the proper 727 transmission and swapped her in. I like to think the car now has the "heart" of a Road-Runner so it gives a little more presence. (The swap did take me almost 5 years to do, the usual suspect time just wasnt on my side.)

View attachment 1395895

This last picture is how the car sits currently, more has obviously been done but I will try to address this in a proper build thread. I still need to get the proper larger torsion bars and have the exhaust finished but she is done enough to cruise around town for now. Nice to meet you all officially and let me know if you have any questions!

View attachment 1395896
Welcome to the site! My first car was a 66 II and did the same engine swap....only mine came with the poly teen. What transmission did the 273 have on it? Mine had the 727 so the swap was a big easier. Didn't even know they came with the 273 until late 80's lol

Welcome to the site! My first car was a 66 II and did the same engine swap....only mine came with the poly teen. What transmission did the 273 have on it? Mine had the 727 so the swap was a big easier. Didn't even know they came with the 273 until late 80's lol
Mr. Cranky,

Very cool! I knew I couldn't be the only one with the thought to throw a big block at a more-door, but do appreciate it is less common to see.

The transmission behind the 273 was for sure a 904 (I knew by the difference between the transmission pans) but did not know they equipped the polys with a 727, learn something new everyday!

Auto Transport Service
Back