• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overflow tank 1968 RR

BBodyBarrett

Local time
12:27 PM
Reaction score
I would like suggestions for coolant overflow tank install on stock radiator 383 4 speed 69 RR. Thanks for your thoughts.

I have the same 383 4 spd with OEM radiator as you do. I'm curious as to why you want an overflow tank. I've never had the need for one.

I have the same 383 4 spd with OEM radiator as you do. I'm curious as to why you want an overflow tank. I've never had the need for one.
When it is hot, like now, after driving a while when I shut it off it will have some over flow.

When it is hot, like now, after driving a while when I shut it off it will have some over flow.
That happens when the radiator has been over filled and when the radiator cap is getting weak. My car got up to 240° running. Parked and of course temps go up further. No puking. Fluid a hair more than an inch below filler opening and new 16 lb radiator cap. I'm running aluminum radiator which can handle up to 17 lb cap.

I agree with Diesel. Check to be sure your cap holds pressure and leave an inch or so of head space in the radiator and you should not need an overflow tank.

I would like suggestions for coolant overflow tank install on stock radiator 383 4 speed 69 RR. Thanks for your thoughts.
I used one of these from ebay. It fit real nice between the radiator and battery box on my 69 charger.
20200706_194639-1.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back