• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

P R N D 2 1 has disappeared...

RGAZ

Local time
4:19 AM
Reaction score
69 Runner with column automatic. Was rebuilding the column and the clear plastic piece that has the "P R N D 2 1" on it has no black letters left. I tried painting them back on, but they look crappy. Tried vinyl and they would not line up. How do I restore this to something functional?

IMG_1235.JPG

It sits right in front of your face all the time, so I don't want to be mad every time I drive if it looks crappy.

Thanks in advance,
RGAZ

If you can't find one, I would take it to the local vinyl graphics shop and they should be able to match font, color, and size without much trouble. Even with the curve design.

I was going to go the vinyl route but was curious if there was a better option. Unfortunately the stick on letters have a small border around the letter that when it is backlit you can see and it looks cheesy (slang: bad).

Thanks for the ideas, i'll take more.

Maybe I'll get the vinyl guy to make me a bunch of them. My newly acquired A-body has a similar fading issue.

RGAZ

Start a want ad. May be some one has one. Many guys change columns when they switch to a 4 speed.

69 Runner with column automatic. Was rebuilding the column and the clear plastic piece that has the "P R N D 2 1" on it has no black letters left. I tried painting them back on, but they look crappy. Tried vinyl and they would not line up. How do I restore this to something functional?

View attachment 1170806

It sits right in front of your face all the time, so I don't want to be mad every time I drive if it looks crappy.

Thanks in advance,
RGAZ
Had that problem with my console shifter letters. Sprayed some white enamel spray paint into a little cup and then used a small paint brush to apply. Didn't really brush it on, just let it flow into the letters. Worked good but i don't know if the column shifter letters are embossed into the plastic like my console letters are.

Had that problem with my console shifter letters. Sprayed some white enamel spray paint into a little cup and then used a small paint brush to apply. Didn't really brush it on, just let it flow into the letters. Worked good but i don't know if the column shifter letters are embossed into the plastic like my console letters are.

Unfortunately the letters are raised ever so slightly on the plastic which is why they are hard to paint. If they were more raised it would be easy or even if they were recessed it would be easy, but these are just slightly raised. It makes it very hard to paint.

I am actually very surprised this is not a common problem. I was hoping someone here would just say "Easy, go buy this part from this place" but it appears not that simple.

RGAZ

A local graphics art place should be ale to do it, or failing that, tell you who to go to to get it done. Ask Dakota Digital the dash people. They may know.....

A local graphics art place should be ale to do it, or failing that, tell you who to go to to get it done. Ask Dakota Digital the dash people. They may know.....

Yeah, I am hitting up my local vinyl guy this week. He was closed over the weekend and I have time since my column bearing replacement is still not here. Cannot build the column back up without it.

USPS strikes again!

RGAZ

*sigh*, three vinyl places all say can't do it (either they cannot cut out the letters that small or do not print on clear vinyl). Two print shops say nope can't do it (both say they cannot easily get the letter alignment perfect). This is kind of ridiculous for something that seems very simple.

I have two more places in town I can try before I need to drive to the next bigger city. Really wanted to reassemble the column this weekend. If I strike out there, I will pull out my protractor and photoshop and make my own drawing that I can have printed on a clear vinyl sticker sheet.

Crazy.
RGAZ

*sigh*, three vinyl places all say can't do it (either they cannot cut out the letters that small or do not print on clear vinyl). Two print shops say nope can't do it (both say they cannot easily get the letter alignment perfect). This is kind of ridiculous for something that seems very simple.

I have two more places in town I can try before I need to drive to the next bigger city. Really wanted to reassemble the column this weekend. If I strike out there, I will pull out my protractor and photoshop and make my own drawing that I can have printed on a clear vinyl sticker sheet.

Crazy.
RGAZ
Sometimes it's the little stuff that trips you up...

Crazy.
RGAZ
If you have some computer graphic skills and a laser printer, you could recreate the letters and numbers, then print them on a sheet of clear decal paper (like a model kit). I've done things like this. I haven't found decal paper for inkjet printers though, just laser printers.

I used waterslide paper like this: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/131432852630?hash=item1e9a022c96:g:JPIAAOSwZjJU5HKp

If you have some computer graphic skills and a laser printer, you could recreate the letters and numbers, then print them on a sheet of clear decal paper (like a model kit). I've done things like this. I haven't found decal paper for inkjet printers though, just laser printers.

I used waterslide paper like this: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/131432852630?hash=item1e9a022c96:g:JPIAAOSwZjJU5HKp

Yes, that is my backup plan. I have enough skill to be dangerous and access to a laser printer. I was trying to get something that would be a bit more permanent.

It will probably be my best option at this point. I will hit up the last places I know of today.

Thanks,
RGAZ

It should be permanent if you clear coat it after the decal is applied. It isn't in a high wear area. You can print out as many test versions on paper as you need until you get the spacing just right. Plus if you make your own, you can customize it, like make the P red instead of black. :)

Lesson Learned: Always talk to the car guy at the print shop.

He heard what this was for and he went out of his way to make it happen. I am sure it took far longer than he charged me for ($16), but I am so glad he took the time. Here it is done in under a day.

IOVW6465.JPG

Now I just have to clearcoat it and include it in this process.... (Fun weekend project)

IMG_0304.JPG

Thanks for following another adventure of my "Saved from the Crusher" build.

LOL

RGAZ

Be careful what you clearcoat it with. You could melt the plastic or look like it was sandblasted.

Auto Transport Service
Back