• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

P/S pump leaking from housing

Dominic

Local time
1:51 AM
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was wondering what options I have to fix this leak in my P/S pump? Seems to be leaking from the housing pretty bad.
IMG_0912.JPG

IMG_0920.JPG
IMG_0909.JPG

Uhh....replace it with a rebuilt one ??? :poke:

Looks like you need a new seal kit if it’s leaking between the cast iron and the tin metal. Make sure your tin metal is in good shape not all dented up around the outer edges or it won’t reseal. Kits are about $10 easy job you can most likely do yourself. Let me know if you need any tips on how.

FYI that’s a federal pump

I chased a leaking TRW pump for decades until I took it apart, cleaned it thoroughly and eliminated the reservoir o-ring. Loaded the ring groove with plenty of ultra black, assembled it and let it sit for over 24 hrs. Trimmed excess material with a utility blade, repainted, reinstalled and a year later not a drop of a leak.

I chased a leaking TRW pump for decades until I took it apart, cleaned it thoroughly and eliminated the reservoir o-ring. Loaded the ring groove with plenty of ultra black, assembled it and let it sit for over 24 hrs. Trimmed excess material with a utility blade, repainted, reinstalled and a year later not a drop of a leak.
Thanks, I just took the housing off yesterday to clean, and also used ultra black, but on the o-ring. Will see if that works, if not I might try and take out the ring, clean, and only use ultra black.

Dom, don't want to hijack your string, but I have the same Pump, it looks, in my 66 Coronet. I may have a leak on the Front behind the pulley. If so, can one buy rebuilt ones or new ones? If so, what does one shop for? I started the car today and it works, but I see a bit of fluid on the front just behind the pulley. Here is Mine. Best, B.

IMG_4385.jpg

Dom, don't want to hijack your string, but I have the same Pump, it looks, in my 66 Coronet. I may have a leak on the Front behind the pulley. If so, can one buy rebuilt ones or new ones? If so, what does one shop for? I started the car today and it works, but I see a bit of fluid on the front just behind the pulley. Here is Mine. Best, B.

View attachment 949820

Sounds like the shaft seal needs replaced. They are cheap. Would need a pic of the back to confirm Federal or TRW. Also the front shaft, solid or hex if it’s a TRW.

Not easy to get a good pic from behind. Perhaps this one will help. Here is a front shot. Thanks in advance, B.

IMG_4389.jpg
IMG_4392.jpg

I have rebuilt several TRW pumps over the years. Not too difficult. Getting the slippers and rotor back in the pump housing can be a little tricky. Also slippers have to be pointed in the right direction or it won't pump. FSM has the procedure.

I have been reading the FSM and get pretty much what it is trying to teach us. That said, I have been at this restoration for a long time. If I can be confident that I can get one that is rebuilt correctly, if needed, then I might just do that. Best, B.

Here is a pic of my Power Steering Pump before doing the clean up. Thanks to SureGrip, we can see it is a TRW. So, it looks like Dom's is the Federal and mine is the TRW. Are TRWs easily rebuildable? I wonder what that 68... number in yellow means?? Best, B.

IMG_2642.jpeg

Wonder what that 68.. in Yellow means?
IMG_2645.jpeg

My power steering pump worked great and just leaked so I replaced the large o ring seal and the shaft seal. It was super easy if you have the tools. I have read that pumps don’t typically go bad so the rest of the seal kit went on the shelf. What I did fixed my issues on both pumps. I did not see a need to completely take mine apart.

Auto Transport Service
Back