• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

p/s pump

The Federal pump like in this photo. It has the large metal cap. Pulley will differ as this is a Slant 6 set up.

IMG_2847.jpg

I got mine from Summit I believe but good luck on the pulley unless you have the old one. Make sure of shaft hole diameter. Are you looking to replace or add on? There are about three versions of the Federal pump early to late. Best thing to do is find used one for your year and have it rebuilt that way you know all parts match. I went through this about three years back. It was a PITA

Thanks. I have the other type (69). I may just have a flexible HP line made up if it's a pain getting the right combo. Dave

no formed HP line for that combo.
Real easy to have a new hose made, with the ends you need, to fit what you have.
My 64 sports a 69 motor, and p/s pump. Stock hose slapped right on. Might need to know what size pump you have, there's three sizes. Check in your service manual, to see the differences.

Real easy to have a new hose made, with the ends you need, to fit what you have.
My 64 sports a 69 motor, and p/s pump. Stock hose slapped right on. Might need to know what size pump you have, there's three sizes. Check in your service manual, to see the differences.

69 motor or 64 B body stock hose?

How do I determine which size pump I have?? Would they all have the same fitting for a high-pressure hose, or not?

How do I determine which size pump I have?
I 'think' pressure hose fitting sizes are the same. Take the old hose, that fits, to compare before buying a new one. I bought one, that was already made up, and too dang long. If I did it over, I'd have one 'made' right in front of me.

Pump sizes? That's determined by engine size, and should show the differences in the service manual. Without actual sizes in my head, one for 6 cylinder, one for SB, one for BB. Federal and TRW. This for a 63?

4 pumps used

.94L Key shaft Saginaw (oval filler tube)

.96L Solid end shaft 4 5/8” ID reservoir TRW Small Pump

1.06L 3/8” threaded internal hole shaft 4 7/8” ID reservoir (The Federal)

1.20L Hex Hole shaft 5 1/8” ID reservoir TRW Large Pump

TRW Fitting can be different between pumps. Federal pumps and there were three variations based on output pressure did not start until about 67. So a correct pump would have been small TRW as I stated earlier in a post. Also, Mounting bracket is different between TRW and Federal. Google that and you can get pictures.

Yes. I did a lot of research on this when I was focused on 69 Body car. If I remember correctly even a 68 Charger Hemi had Small TRW.

Up through 1966 inclusive there were only 2 styles of Power Steering pump for passenger cars. They were a Saginaw design and Thompson/TRW. (No Federal Pump)

Saginaw is the .94L pump with oval filler tube and a keyed shaft with nut.

TRW is a .96L pump with round reservoir. This is a look alike to the Federal Pump.

In 1967 the Federal pump is introduced and the parts manual in 67 and 68 clearly describe them and how to tell the difference. By 69 were back to two style, Saginaw and now 3 variations of the Federal. TRW/Thompson is gone. The Federal all look alike, the difference is output pressure controlled by the relief valve.

I think the large TRW was a C body/Imperial thing. I would have to go back and look at early service manual to confirm. If he has a Federal, it will work the bracket is different to mount to engine. If he has TRW a different bracket needed. Hoses will be different, but getting one to work should not be hard.

Yes. I did a lot of research on this when I was focused on 69 Body car. If I remember correctly even a 68 Charger Hemi had Small TRW.

Up through 1966 inclusive there were only 2 styles of Power Steering pump for passenger cars. They were a Saginaw design and Thompson/TRW. (No Federal Pump)

Saginaw is the .94L pump with oval filler tube and a keyed shaft with nut.

TRW is a .96L pump with round reservoir. This is a look alike to the Federal Pump.

In 1967 the Federal pump is introduced and the parts manual in 67 and 68 clearly describe them and how to tell the difference. By 69 were back to two style, Saginaw and now 3 variations of the Federal. TRW/Thompson is gone. The Federal all look alike, the difference is output pressure controlled by the relief valve.

I think the large TRW was a C body/Imperial thing. I would have to go back and look at early service manual to confirm. If he has a Federal, it will work the bracket is different to mount to engine. If he has TRW a different bracket needed. Hoses will be different, but getting one to work should not be hard.
I did the same research about three years ago. Ran into the same thing.

Take your old hose into a radiator shop. They can make one any length you want and match fittings

I 'think' pressure hose fitting sizes are the same. Take the old hose, that fits, to compare before buying a new one. I bought one, that was already made up, and too dang long. If I did it over, I'd have one 'made' right in front of me.

Pump sizes? That's determined by engine size, and should show the differences in the service manual. Without actual sizes in my head, one for 6 cylinder, one for SB, one for BB. Federal and TRW. This for a 63?
63 B, 69 motor...that's the problem.

Rad shop..really?
They may have to send for fittings but should have the hose and compression clamps. I had a hydraulic hose blow and took it to a rad shop fix it good as new. Call around first ,some might , some might not.

Auto Transport Service
Back