• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Packing Wheel Hubs Grease

dodge68charger

Local time
8:35 AM
Reaction score
I Just Purchased A Wilwood Disc Brake Kit for My Front Brakes. Just Wondering How Much Grease I Put Into The Bearing Hub where The Bearings Sit. Do i Fill It Right Up? Or just Some where The Bearings Sit. I seen 2 different ways on youtube. Thanks

I Just Purchased A Wilwood Disc Brake Kit for My Front Brakes. Just Wondering How Much Grease I Put Into The Bearing Hub where The Bearings Sit. Do i Fill It Right Up? Or just Some where The Bearings Sit. I seen 2 different ways on youtube. Thanks
Can never have too much grease, I just did mine Saturday (wilwood dynalite kit) and loaded up the bearing with grease, front back and wiped the rollers alsonpuy a layer where the bearings sit

it's more important to fill the actual bearing, actually it is imperative..... there is an old school way by hand, but they also make a bearing packing gizmo ........ I've never filled the housing

I was taught by my dad to hand pack the bearings and make certain grease filled the small cavities and oozed out. Drop the inner wheel bearing in, then a finger full of grease inside the cavity. The spindle should have a coating of grease fairly generous. Place the hub then pack the outer bearing by hand. Another finger full of grease on the bearing towards the spindle. Insert bearing and assemble. Rotate while torque is applied to the nut until quite a bit of resistance. Then back off nut about 1/2 turn. Everyone has a different technique.

Inside of the hub just needs about an eight inch covering to protect it from moisture. Then wipe about an eight inch over the spindle. Pack the inside wheel bearing and place it into the back of the hub. Then install the new seal. Slide the hub onto the spindle. Install the packed outer bearing and the washer and nut. Use the proper tightening procedure for setting the bearing. Then install the stamped nut cap, carter key and dust cup.

Here is a video on packing a bearing by hand. Use a high temperature wheel bearing grease.

No need to fill, like everyone is saying pack the bearings and give everything else a healthy coat.

When you fill the hub,the grease will expand with heat and force it's way out eventually. And it is wasteful.
Mike

Inside of the hub just needs about an eight inch covering to protect it from moisture. Then wipe about an eight inch over the spindle. Pack the inside wheel bearing and place it into the back of the hub. Then install the new seal. Slide the hub onto the spindle. Install the packed outer bearing and the washer and nut. Use the proper tightening procedure for setting the bearing. Then install the stamped nut cap, carter key and dust cup.

Here is a video on packing a bearing by hand. Use a high temperature wheel bearing grease.

That is exactly how my dad taught me how to do it almost 50 years ago. Learned on a '38 Buick he had. :)

Auto Transport Service
Back