• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint brands quality vs brand question

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:11 AM
Reaction score
There's some pretty expensive paint out there...are there others that are not on the moon in price but are still a good quality?

I have used Omni several times they are reasonable and I think pretty good quality. Nothing is realy cheap anymore. I believe PPG makes Omni so it is kinda like a generic.

i don't know a lot about paint. usually whatever the paint guy is using, but i had a truck done and wanted something special and used house of colors. wow, what a result. looks about a foot deep. its not cheap but if you want that special look i recommend it. a paint job is the first impression people will have of your ride. my next "keeper" wheels will be the same brand. as for "just" a paint job i would guess any of the big brand names would be similar. each painter will have his own preferrance.

Attachments

• john and rick 004.jpg
    john and rick 004.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 262
Southern Polyurethane Inc. for your primer for sure. They also have a webboard for any newbie or not so newbie questions.

I used Omni on my GTX at about 1/3 of the cost of PPG.The painter had always used PPG and was a little reluctant on using the Omni.After it was all said and done he was pretty impressed with the omni product.

IMO paint is not something you want to cut corners on. Especially If it's something you're going to keep. Paint is basically only as good as the ingredients. the solvents, the inert, the "fineness" of the grind for the metal flake. It does matter. and it will affect the price. Good luck with your project.

I've been in the business for many years. It's generally a get-what-you-pay-for in quality. I've used Dupont & PPG for the most part. You can get more expensive and cheaper. I've used Nason as well. It depends. The carrier and the pigment concentration is what you pay for. It's like milk. Pour a glass of skim milk and next to it a glass of whole milk... look at the difference. They're both milk & you can drink them both. It depends on what you want to put in your body with the milk... or on your car with the paint.

I have been painting for nearly 18 years and have used many different brands in that time. In many cases when you use the lower cost lines of a paint manufacture, such as Omni from PPG or Dimension from Sherwin Williams, you can end up spending more than if you used the top of the line.
As already mentioned, the lower cost comes from a lower quality of toners used to mix the paint. I have sprayed many gallons of GM's Torch Red over the years. Even over gray primer, the top of the line SW usually covers in 2-3 coats. I had to spray the Dimension line of the same color one time. It took 8 coats before I had coverage. Sure, the shop paid 1/2 the money for it, but it took more than twice the material that it would have if I had been allowed to spray the good stuff. The SW paint rep even told me that in most cases, spraying the cheaper line would cost more in the long run.
Im not knocking the cheaper paint, because they sell tons of the stuff and I have seen many slick paint jobs come from the cheaper lines. Just keep in mind, just because it costs less per gallon, that doesnt mean that your total bill will be cheaper. If you are going to go with a cheaper product, most of the big name manufactures all have a lower cost product under a different product name.

Auto Transport Service
Back