• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint problems in the engine bay

blue69runner

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:31 PM
Reaction score
So here goes. Was dusting and cleaning the engine bay today. Over on the drivers side shock tower ran my cloth over that area and heard cracking. The paint had bubbled up where the shock come's through the tower. It cracked up and man that really makes me mad. Has any one had this problem and what is the solution to keep it form doing that. Yes now will have to touch that area up the best I can. The primer is still their. It is sad that we work so hard to make the car perfect and show room quality. Appreciate any thought. Blue.

Obviously the primer was contaminated with oil or something before the color was applied! Really
sorry to hear that. That's why they say that all of the work is in the prep! If you want to go hunting
for more spots, use an air blow-gun and see if more paint "Flies" off. This is the fault of the painter!

After the prime and sanding, did you use a prep sol? I stopped using it because I was having problems. I just blow it off and then a tack rag.

What products were used? How much product was used?
Pictures?

Obviously the primer was contaminated with oil or something before the color was applied! Really
sorry to hear that. That's why they say that all of the work is in the prep! If you want to go hunting
for more spots, use an air blow-gun and see if more paint "Flies" off. This is the fault of the painter!
Ouch that hurt. Well who knows. I am the painter and did every thing that a man should do to prep. Area was supper clean. I have 600 plus miles on the car now. It seems to be a heat problem for the manifold is all I can think that did that. Well Just thinking. Appreciate the advice.

Could you be getting contaminants from the compressor?

Ok used all Matrix product's. Epoxy primer. Yes I used the prep to wipe the surface down before applying base coat. It just act's like it is from heat.

Possibly introducing moisture from your air source. Any moisture trapped between coats can result in bubbling. Do you have a dryer/water trap?

Could you be getting contaminants from the compressor?
Had filters On my tank and the gun also water filters on tank and in booth. So it is sad but thing's do happen I know. Thanks for the info.

Possibly introducting moisture from your air source. Any moisture trapped between coats can result in bubbling. Do you have a dryer/water trap?
Yes I do. This is the only place I have seen this. Like I said been driving it and showed it yesterday. But did not notice it. The paint was in tact as far as I could see. It might have been bubbled yesterday and did not notice it. Darn just my luck. Just wondering if their is a heat shield that is suppose to be on the manifold or some thing. I have the regular man's on the car.

Yes I do. This is the only place I have seen this. Like I said been driving it and showed it yesterday. But did not notice it. The paint was in tact as far as I could see. It might have been bubbled yesterday and did not notice it. Darn just my luck. Just wondering if their is a heat shield that is suppose to be on the manifold or some thing. I have the regular man's on the car.
Painted my bay 16 years ago and never had any heat related paint damage. Still holding up very nicely. Using all stock components.

What products were used? How much product was used?
Pictures?
Two coat's of primer. Three coats of base coat. Two coats of color blender with my flake in it and three coats of clear coat.

Well S---- happens and if could happen to any one it would be me. LOL. Better to laugh than cry. Just some thing else to do I guess. :thumbsup:

Two coat's of primer. Three coats of base coat. Two coats of color blender with my flake in it and three coats of clear coat.

I could mention possibilities if your up to it.

I could mention possibilities if your up to it.
Well slimt will just have to sand down that area and cut in around the tower to inner fender. Paint it again and pray. Now I know why they say we are never done working on these old car's. Blue.

Well slimt will just have to sand down that area and cut in around the tower to inner fender. Paint it again and pray. Now I know why they say we are never done working on these old car's. Blue.

ya true enough.

My first suspicion would be that it was improperly prepped. You can sand the tar out of everything and easily overlook a small spot? I've gotten in the habit of hitting everything twice, once with sandpaper then a second time with a scuff pad.

Auto Transport Service
Back