• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint that resembles bare metal

welder47

Local time
12:07 PM
Reaction score
Recently tried some paint I found that looks the most like raw steel when applied I seen so far. It is Duplicolor T 501 spruce green. Dont let the name get you its hardly green looking. Just a dumb name for it. Covers very good even over black primer, somewhat metalic. Its listed as a truck van and suv paint. Id say it looks most like clean cast iron when dry.

I used POR 15 Metal Mask on my steel parts and I find it looks very much like bare steel. Cast blast from Totally Auto looks just like cast iron. I'll have to try the T501 some time.

I used POR 15 Metal Mask on my steel parts and I find it looks very much like bare steel. Cast blast from Totally Auto looks just like cast iron. I'll have to try the T501 some time.

I agree......Cast blast is great stuff and identical. On my front end/brake parts I couldn't tell what I painted and what I didn't yet.

I'll have to keep my eye's peeled for that stuff Russ... Is it high temp or fluid resistant?

Another vote for cast blast - been using it on bead blasted exhaust manifolds for years and they look like new for many years.................

Auto Transport Service
Back