• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

paint the intake?

davek

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:14 PM
Reaction score
So Im installing the 6 pack intake on the 70 Bee. Do to engine work-I did not know about- I did not want the iron intake shaved so Im letting them do the Edelbrock intake. 1970 I believe all if not most 6 pack intakes were iron so they would be the engine color. Trying to go with correct period look. I have seen a 70 GTX with the aluminum intake. What would you do? Thanks Dave

you asked so I'll give my $0.02 cents

I wouldn't paint it, if it's aluminum
but that's just me
I like the look of a natural alum 6bbl intake

they did have paint on all the cast iron 6bbl intakes
if it's a OE style resto, go ahead paint away
if it makes you happy
it's your car after all

I painted mine. Paint it.......Paint it all. I am even painting the aluminum heads :thumbsup:

F01B4FE9-F8C5-4BA0-A248-00D993C0BCC3.jpeg 05EAD31F-ED85-4112-9A6B-F43C259C54E1.jpeg 0D59856D-8137-4C26-B2A1-20AEB2B1D969.jpeg

Last edited:
So Im installing the 6 pack intake on the 70 Bee. Do to engine work-I did not know about- I did not want the iron intake shaved so Im letting them do the Edelbrock intake. 1970 I believe all if not most 6 pack intakes were iron so they would be the engine color. Trying to go with correct period look. I have seen a 70 GTX with the aluminum intake. What would you do? Thanks Dave

Contact @CudaChick1968 and explore some custom paintwork and lettering!

I would think all factory installed intakes would be painted

Yeah, I’d paint it. If you went chrome brake booster, aluminum valve covers then I’d go bare aluminum. I prefer the stealth look. That’s what I’m doing. Not stock restored but not ‘70’s show car, either.

If you decide NOT to paint THEN clear coat the ******! Otherwise you’ll regret not painting the sucker!

All stock sixpack/sixbbl intakes were painted, iron and aluminum. It's your car, do what YOU want, but if you want it to look correct, paint it.

I got my six pack off a 69 bird. It’s aluminum and has always been unpainted. Even from the original day. I would keep it unpainted. Although I like the suggestion to clear it. Mine was never painted as stock. I liked it that way to.

I like the stock look,bought the AMD valve covers.
I was going to buy AMD valve covers, but found out their 71 covers are unavailable. They, as in AMD, told me the last batch they made were defective, and couldn’t tell me when they’d be making any more..

I still do believe a small number of the '70 6BBL cars came with the '69 1/2 aluminum manifold & I'm fairly sure the one '70 OEM aluminum I saw was painted just like the iron '70 versions which I had.

Auto Transport Service
Back