• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Painting the Headlight Buckets and Grille

Maxrat

Local time
1:00 PM
Reaction score
With the car painted, I had to restore the headlight buckets. This is really tedious work. 1st - filed off all the raised pot metal noogies with a small file 2nd - Painted with self etching primer 3rd - Remove primer from chrome 4th - Paint black 5th - remove paint from chrome again. Wow -- this is tedious! Note: I found it best to remove the paint off the chrome using lacquer thinner on a rag tight against my finger. It worked best just after the paint flashed off and was still wet.

IMG_5091.JPG IMG_5100.JPG IMG_5110.JPG IMG_5112.JPG

Those look great! I'll send you the ones for my 67 Coronet R/T and you can do them too while you have all your tools out.
:lol:

Fastback grille restoration earns you an extra man card. :thumbsup:

Great job Maxrat, they look great. I started mine and did as follws:

I cleaned the chrome first, light sanded in-between with green scotch pad, then put a film of vasoline (with a old toothbrush) on the chrome before I sprayed the paint. After I sprayed the paint, I took a rag a wiped off the vasoline. Looks good to me

IMG_0313.jpg IMG_0312.jpg IMG_0311.jpg IMG_0310.jpg

Actually fairly simple if you tape everything off and use lacquer thinner to wipe off the black from the chrome.
A light coat of polish is all that is needed on the chrome. I do it every car season.
Yours looks fantastic as well.
WP_20180605_005.jpg

Well, didn't last year because the car went nowhere all season. But yes.
The pesky bugs and stones make a mess of the black. So I do the same as you, a little sandpaper on a paint stir-stick, sand and repaint. Then wipe off the polished chrome with thinner. Don't forget to hit the headlamp motors too.
WP_20180605_003(1).jpg

Another shot.

Great job Maxrat, they look great. I started mine and did as follws:

I cleaned the chrome first, light sanded in-between with green scotch pad, then put a film of vasoline (with a old toothbrush) on the chrome before I sprayed the paint. After I sprayed the paint, I took a rag a wiped off the vasoline. Looks good to me

View attachment 1088711 View attachment 1088712 View attachment 1088713 View attachment 1088714

Nice job. Yesterday I worked on the turn signal covers. Today I'm going to work on the grille. Headlight buckets are done.

Kids wanted to do something with the car so...Family Project, (14 years ago)...
I gave the kids some painters tape, 1/8" for the small stuff, and told them to have at it.
It didn't take them very long to mask it front and back. I hit it with the black, and they removed the tape.
They enjoyed doing it.
IMGP0004.JPG

Masking.JPG

Mask1.JPG

Ready.JPG

Removal.JPG

Last edited:
Kids wanted to do something with the car so...Family Project, (14 years ago)...
I gave the kids some painters tape, 1/8" for the small stuff, and told them to have at it.
It didn't take them very long to mask it front and back. I hit it with the black, and they removed the tape.
They enjoyed doing it.
View attachment 1090717
View attachment 1090718
View attachment 1090719
View attachment 1090720
View attachment 1090721

That series of pictures was awesome. I can't believe they did that for you.

Auto Transport Service
Back