• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Parking brake lights???

diesel_lv

Local time
7:24 AM
Reaction score
1967 Coronet 440 4dr auto. Other than a fuse tap for fuel injection and stereo, had gauge cluster completely rebuilt, under dash wiring is unmolested. I apply parking brake and light is solid then starts to flash. Also rear "brake" lights come on. Any ideas where to start? Want to use parking brake so less strain on parking pawl but with brake lights on, it would drain the battery.

In the factory arrangement the rear brake lights have nothing to do with the parking brake application.

The flashing parking brake light is a special bulb and is factory installed. It is to only light up with the key on.

The park pawl should be just fine without the parking brake.

This sounds like you are leaking voltage to the turn signal or hazard flasher circuit. Disconnect the turn signal switch and see what happens.

In the factory arrangement the rear brake lights have nothing to do with the parking brake application.

The flashing parking brake light is a special bulb and is factory installed. It is to only light up with the key on.

The park pawl should be just fine without the parking brake.
Thanks for that on the flashing dash indicator. At least I know that part is correct. N yes, it goes out with key off. The rear brake lights stay on when key is off though. I have a Gearvendor overdrive and apparently they don't trust their own parking pawl and advise to use parking brake. Hate to have the car pop out of park and roll into something.

Might check your parking brake light switch for a good connection. The switch itself is simple and any corrosion will keep it from grounding.

The brake lights staying on could be as simple as adjusting the switch on the brake pedal. Could be the switch going bad.

Hope you like working under the dash! :)

Might check your parking brake light switch for a good connection. The switch itself is simple and any corrosion will keep it from grounding.

The brake lights staying on could be as simple as adjusting the switch on the brake pedal. Could be the switch going bad.

Hope you like working under the dash! :)
Brake lights aren't staying on, they come on when parking brake is depressed. There should be no connection in wires per my wiring diagram. Guess it's spark chasing. Definitely no under dash work unless bench seat is removed, at 54 yrs old, 2 double fusions of the low back, 3 surgeries on left shoulder n 4 on right, 220 lbs, I dont fit under there very well.

Brake lights aren't staying on, they come on when parking brake is depressed. There should be no connection in wires per my wiring diagram. Guess it's spark chasing. Definitely no under dash work unless bench seat is removed, at 54 yrs old, 2 double fusions of the low back, 3 surgeries on left shoulder n 4 on right, 220 lbs, I dont fit under there very well.

I hate working under the dash for sure.

That e-brake switch wire must be connected to the brake light/switch circuit somehow. Good luck!

Figured it out. Sticky brake light switch w brake pedal. I was pushing down on it while applying parking brake. When I let parking brake loose, the rattle would also unstick brake light switch. A little electrical parts cleaner n lube and now all good. Thanks for the replies.

Parking brake? Do you mean emergency brake and its light on cluster? The brake light on cluster comes on in these two stages:

Emergency brake applied

Brake fluid pressure failure.

Both works with ground as the switch on signal and constant positive coming from RUN circuit.

Any of those stages actually has nothing to do with the brake lights on tail lights which is actually switched on with positive from BATT circuit at brake pedal assembly and ground is straight into the tail light housings.

Now from there that was weird they could be actually related but two separated issues.

Parking brake? Do you mean emergency brake and its light on cluster? The brake light on cluster comes on in these two stages:

Emergency brake applied

Brake fluid pressure failure.

Both works with ground as the switch on signal and constant positive coming from RUN circuit.

Any of those stages actually has nothing to do with the brake lights on tail lights which is actually switched on with positive from BATT circuit at brake pedal assembly and ground is straight into the tail light housings.

Now from there that was weird they could be actually related but two separated issues.
No, "Parking" brake. Not sure why people started calling them emergency brakes. In the service manuals, owners manuals etc, they are parking brakes

Tomatoe tomato... I use it when parking but in an emergency I'd use it too.

I had a similar issue with a car that had sat for awhile. The switch had stuck and after some pressing on the pedal it freed itself. Probably due to lack of use and corrosion.
Glad you got it figured out.

Auto Transport Service
Back