• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Parking Brake Mechanism Bolt Removal

westie47

Local time
7:03 AM
Reaction score
Is there a way to remove/replace the firewall bolts from the parking brake mechanism? Both of the bolts on mine snapped.
75C737EB-F87B-4817-AACB-B6A15C4B990E.jpeg

You can see both broken bolts.
0E52A49F-CFA2-4FA9-B8E4-D51ED4A38E46.jpeg
8B503EB7-41A2-47BA-A106-0EF7C7A4919C.jpeg

the heads of the studs are welded to the peddle assembly. you can grind the heads down till they are thin and then remove them and just put regular bolts there. you could tack weld the new bolts if you like. don't just try to beat them out it will bend the bracket to all hell before the welds give.

Glad I saw this, I was literally about to ask where to find the studs because mine snapped as well. Didn’t know they were welded!

I just did this on a car, what I did was grind down the bolt end until flush with the frame, center punch both, drill and tap for a 5/16 stud, thread it is and tack weld the other end (the big end). it will fit the car like the original and if you do it carefully you will never know it was done if thats a concern. I do this on any similar bolt such as those found inside the brake boosters that hold them to the firewall.

the heads of the studs are welded to the peddle assembly. you can grind the heads down till they are thin and then remove them and just put regular bolts there. you could tack weld the new bolts if you like. don't just try to beat them out it will bend the bracket to all hell before the welds give.
lol I actually tried to do exactly that earlier. I heated one of them up then tried to pound it out. I stopped as soon as I saw the bracket start to bend.

Auto Transport Service
Back