• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Parking brake removal

DWoody

Local time
8:04 PM
Reaction score
How do I remove the parking brake assembly from a 1970 Roadrunner?

Two nuts in the wheel well behind BESIDE the splash shield and a bolt accessible behind the pedal after depressing it slightly.

Last edited:
Two nuts in the wheel well behind the splash shield and a bolt accessible behind the pedal after depressing it slightly.
I saw the one under the pedal arm. Sounds like I need to remove the wheel, remove the splash shield to get to the nuts.

I think the two nuts in the wheel well are not behind the splash shield they are directly above where the cable comes through the fire wall

Yep, glad someone is paying attention!! LOL

beerestoration2017 1298.JPG
beerestoration2019 1863.JPG

Just glad Beekeeper was paying attention and you didn't tear the shield off already! Soak those nuts really good in rust breaker and if you can use a bit of heat before you try to turn them. They have a bad habit of snapping off the studs.

Just glad Beekeeper was paying attention and you didn't tear the shield off already! Soak those nuts really good in rust breaker and if you can use a bit of heat before you try to turn them. They have a bad habit of snapping off the studs.
I took some photos tonight, here is what John's 1970 Roadrunner looks like. I think I see one of the 2 nuts, the other must be under the shield.

2020-03-30 21.27.18.jpg 2020-03-30 21.27.14.jpg 2020-03-30 21.26.25.jpg

Yep, flap is just sitting over it... you should be able to push it up above the nut or lift it up enough to access.

Auto Transport Service
Back