• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Parts

Coronet67guy

Local time
2:13 AM
Reaction score
Hello,

My 400 motor in my 74 Charger is from a 76-78 car. This creates fit issues whenever buying anything that attaches to the motor, like power steering brackets or alternator brackets. My car was an original AC car but someone took everything AC related out of the car. I would like to put an aftermarket AC in the car but will be needing the proper brackets for that year of motor. Where do you guys find parts/info on the later model 400 cars?

Thanks
Alan

Try using the car that the engine came in when ordering or searching for parts, sometimes there are bosses on the later engines that were not tapped depending on what options or body styles the engine came in. Sometimes you will have to modify or fabricate parts to fit. Service manuals are great for illustrations showing components orientation. I found a SM on eBay for $35.00 it's been invaluable.

Try using the car that the engine came in when ordering or searching for parts, sometimes there are bosses on the later engines that were not tapped depending on what options or body styles the engine came in. Sometimes you will have to modify or fabricate parts to fit. Service manuals are great for illustrations showing components orientation. I found a SM on eBay for $35.00 it's been invaluable.

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure what car this motor came from, it was in the car when I bought it. I'm not even sure the guy who had the car realized it wasn't the original motor. I've been using a 78 Cordoba 400 car as my "search" car, but not finding any parts popping up on eBay. Service manual is a great idea, but again I'm not sure what car this motor came from. I'm assuming though that the 400 motor from 76-78 would of had the same brackets regardless of the car model.

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure what car this motor came from, it was in the car when I bought it. I'm not even sure the guy who had the car realized it wasn't the original motor. I've been using a 78 Cordoba 400 car as my "search" car, but not finding any parts popping up on eBay. Service manual is a great idea, but again I'm not sure what car this motor came from. I'm assuming though that the 400 motor from 76-78 would of had the same brackets regardless of the car model.
Check the date on the side of the block, if it was a car that didn't have air than some of the bosses may not have been tapped for the AC brackets you want and or need to put on. The date on the block will narrow it down at least. I would start with the service manual for your car. There are some online illustrations or pdf's that might show other body styles that had 400's in them. You can get an idea if the brackets and bolt ons are similar to what your service manual shows for 74. Post a message asking for picture of your car type with an A/C set up for reference.

I know there are after market A/C setups that come with everything that's needed to convert a non AC car. If you are missing everything, by the time you round up everything you need, and keep in mind it's gonna be 46 years old stuff. Might be easier to go with new.... I know it will be PRICEY, But will be new. check out Dylan McCool on you tube he just put a New A/C system in a 74 Challenger. Might be the same set up you need.

Auto Transport Service
Back