• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Patina'd RR1 Burgundy 1968 Charger ("Ribeye")

70B5Cuda

Local time
4:21 PM
Reaction score
Since my survivor 1969 Charger was totaled in December of 2018, I have been wanting another driver quality Charger to drive while my pro touring 1968 Charger is being built. I spent three months on the couch recovering from surgery so I spent a lot of time looking but I didn't get serious until about 6 months ago. I really wanted a B5 or Q5 Charger, but so does everyone else! We all know, most original paint cars seem to be green....IN January I found and bought a really solid R4 Charger out of Texas. It had a cheap repaint but was complete. Not two weeks after buying the R4 Charger, I came across this RR1 Charger just 30 miles from me. It had mostly original paint (with a few spot ins) and some greats options like black vinyl top, white interior, cruise control, rear defrost, power breaks, power steering, AC, 3 speed wiper, etc. It had great patina and the paint was chalky/oxidized but I knew my paint detail guy could do wonders with it. The grill is perfect!! It had been a Kansas car all its life. It spent inside for the last 5 years but was outside quite a while before that.

jfDZqLTh.jpg

SOMsodvh.jpg

EB28oqUh.jpg

k3igPSFh.jpg

WcOT94wh.jpg

nVXPUfTh.jpg

It spent one more night outside while I cleaned up and reorganized the shop.

ecopsxMh.jpg

Step 1...Get it situated in the shop and take picture...check

T6vQQRxh.jpg

Step 2...remove seats and remove the nasty carpet so I can see condition...At least the interior is all there!

JVensLzh.jpg

Wi85w0ah.jpg

The floors are pretty nice. I spent a few hours with a braided wire cup wheel. here is the before picture...

IExtn3sh.jpg

And after....
9u47QBRh.jpg

Step 3...Call up a buddy who does detailing and ask him to schedule me in. He came over with a bunch of different pads and polishes and did some test patches.

hIOIQgZh.jpg

fRn4aM7h.jpg

tb6m3pGh.jpg

R4E0oMBh.jpg

CP4Hguuh.jpg

cegpbMph.jpg

For some reason, the patina on the hood and decklid remind me of the marbling in a ribeye steak....hence the nickname. I knew it would look cool but I didn't realize HOW COOL. I never thought I'd like burgundy so much. I think that the primer shining through the thin burgundy really brightens up the color.

35J1fPxh.jpg

fjJOfFqh.jpg

GOvwTHjh.jpg

I will get some pictures of it outside in the sunlight.....with better wheels!

stop buying all the chargers I want one. Nice ride and congrats on the find. Hoping one day to find one.My 69 RT/SE charger was stolen in Houston in 1986.

Sorry davek! I'll try to save some for you! This one actually found me...it wasn't advertised.

Very nice solid car - not many left out there like that. So what are you going to to with all those 68's?

What a great car - amazing condition for a 68!

Yes, I am jealous too, 68 Chargers are among my favorites, and this one has a great color combo to boot. The paint really came back very nicely!

Congrats on a great score!

glad to see you healed up, and great find on the '68. Looks like a pretty solid one. No saving the '69?

The 1969 could have been saved but I sold it while my health was in jeopardy. It just wasn’t important to me to hang onto something that I may not be able to finish. I sold off 4 other projects at the same time. I kept the best 4. Lol.
It could have been saved but it was really hurt. The firewall, floor pans, and torsion Bar crossmember were all buckled. The truck that hit me went into the left fender hard enough that he hit the steering column and bent It. After the truck hit my left front fender, our back ends swung around and clapped Together which crushed the left quarter panel and buckled the tail light panel. It was more then I could take one. I sold it at the insurance auction and it Went to Florida.

The 1969 could have been saved but I sold it while my health was in jeopardy. It just wasn’t important to me to hang onto something that I may not be able to finish. I sold off 4 other projects at the same time. I kept the best 4. Lol.
It could have been saved but it was really hurt. The firewall, floor pans, and torsion Bar crossmember were all buckled. The truck that hit me went into the left fender hard enough that he hit the steering column and bent It. After the truck hit my left front fender, our back ends swung around and clapped Together which crushed the left quarter panel and buckled the tail light panel. It was more then I could take one. I sold it at the insurance auction and it Went to Florida.
Any pics ?

Auto Transport Service
Back