• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paul Rossi engine

383 a4 runner

Local time
2:51 AM
Reaction score
0BF9F097-D0A3-4C10-8B89-74E8799181DA.jpeg
7264B46C-49AA-49CF-8D3B-58E588579C42.jpeg
I’m bidding on a 440 that is supposed to be a Paul Rossi built engine. The auction is local so I was able to see it today. There’s no paperwork with it. I pulled a valve cover and it has 906 heads, Isky adjustable rockers and heavy valve springs. The block has no stamps on the pad other than someone stamped LITTLE BOGGE on it. No vin number on the oil pan rail either. The casting numbers are partially ground off but is a 4006630-440-7 which I believe is a 75-78 casting. The engine was built years ago and never ran. It has a sfi approved damper so hopefully it has a steel balanced crank. It also has a new never used Holley double pumper and street dominator intake. If I get it I’ll tear it apart to see what all is inside. The heads,intake and carb is worth what I’m bidding so anything else is a bonus.

Thought I recognized the name lol bud I think you'll be ok
Screenshot_20220314-224810_Chrome.jpg

Chances of bolts not being torqued are slim.
Super stock racers of that credence usually don't build shitty engines.
BUT, maybe on this occasion they did. Lol?

Chances of bolts not being torqued are slim.
Super stock racers of that credence usually don't build shitty engines.
BUT, maybe on this occasion they did. Lol?
Who knows if it was actually built by Rossi though. The intake isn’t bolted on and it’s never been ran. I’m going to tear it down regardless and see what pistons, cam, valves etc it has.

Paul Rossi has a web page over on face book he answers questions when asked on that page! He knows his mopars just do a search on facebook it should bring up his fan page. Paul is second from the right. 
Belvedereontrailerwteam_zps5028a40e.jpg

Paul Rossi sure knew how to build a 440. If it's real, good luck. If you want a Keith Black motor, I have a couple, no documentation. Just kidding! Good luck.

Let us know good or bad

Paul Rossi has a web page over on face book he answers questions when asked on that page! He knows his mopars just do a search on facebook it should bring up his fan page. Paul is second from the right. View attachment 1255438

Paul Rossi sure knew how to build a 440. If it's real, good luck. If you want a Keith Black motor, I have a couple, no documentation. Just kidding! Good luck.
I was able to get a response from Paul Rossi himself. He’s said “that’s not my work”. I’m still going to try to get it. I have a price in mind that won’t hurt me either way if it’s good or not. If nothing else put the heads on my 383 and sell the rest.

I was able to get a response from Paul Rossi himself. He’s said “that’s not my work”. I’m still going to try to get it. I have a price in mind that won’t hurt me either way if it’s good or not. If nothing else put the heads on my 383 and sell the rest.
Can't go wrong with 906 heads, for a cast head they perform good on a 383. I had them on my 383 in a cuda it performed great!

Can't go wrong with 906 heads, for a cast head they perform good on a 383. I had them on my 383 in a cuda it performed great!
11.40s was they best I got from that combo.

All race stuff. 12.5 cr, 275@50 sft, big stall.
You wouldn't want to drive it for ice creams.
All steel 67 charger .

My dads duster ran 7.03 weighing 3600 pounds.
383,12.5:1,590 mopar cam,906 heads with 2.14/1.88 valves (yes 1.88). Never ran 1/4 mile track.

My dads duster ran 7.03 weighing 3600 pounds.
383,12.5:1,590 mopar cam,906 heads with 2.14/1.88 valves (yes 1.88). Never ran 1/4 mile track.
That's pretty stout.
I've been down that road with the 1.88s, lots of cylinder grinding.

Just curious, what heads are on your 383? The 906 are a good OEM iron head. They really respond to some basic pocket porting, or a "race deep bottom cut" valve job. 906 heads were used on 383's from '68 thru much of '71. The casting quality was pretty much the same on different years & mold numbers. My first pocket porting gave me a .4+ improvement in ET, about 50HP, with a .585/308 cam.

Just curious, what heads are on your 383? The 906 are a good OEM iron head. They really respond to some basic pocket porting, or a "race deep bottom cut" valve job. 906 heads were used on 383's from '68 thru much of '71. The casting quality was pretty much the same on different years & mold numbers. My first pocket porting gave me a .4+ improvement in ET, about 50HP, with a .585/308 cam.
It has 906 now with a bit of port work but stock valves.

The larger 2.14/1.81 Mopar valves do give a bit more power, backcut stock valves are OK.

The larger 2.14/1.81 Mopar valves do give a bit more power, backcut stock valves are OK.
I’m hoping the heads on this engine has 2.14/1.81. I’ll have to wait and see if I get it and then make a decision on what direction to go. It all depends on what is inside. I hope it is something around 10.5:1 compression. The 383 in my car now is 12.5:1 and not very street friendly.

All race stuff. 12.5 cr, 275@50 sft, big stall.
You wouldn't want to drive it for ice creams.
All steel 67 charger .
That's more of a track type setup and as you say you wouldn't want to drive to much on the street. My 383 had 10.3 to 1 compression and the cam was around 250@50, stall around 2800 it was street friendly but would put you sideways with street tires. 383 in my cuda, I never ran that one at the track.

Auto Transport Service
Back