• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paxton Blower

Garys1969RR

Local time
5:09 AM
Reaction score
I'm planning to drive a car with a 440, equipped with a paxton blower, on a long hi way journey. (1000 miles) . My question is : would it be OK to remove the blower drive belt for this long road trip ? I'm thinking I don't want the extra miles on the blower bearings, plus it may improve fuel consumption. And I certainly dont need any boost cruising along at 70 MPH. The Holley double pumper carb has 72 main jets in it now. Also may remove the blower hat from the carb, and run an air filter, as opposed to letting it pull air thru the blower and blower filter. Any thoughts / experience on this ? A lot of miles with a blower. Thanks

Blower tube.JPG

Geez....that would have to affect your tune pretty bad to just unhook the blower. I think you're better off to drive it as-is

I dont have any expierence with them, and agree that a tune on a low compression motor by itself would not be the best. I would call Paxton and see what their thoughts are.
My concern would be the oil temp,may need to add an oil cooler, but again I'm not expierenced with your set up...

Last edited:
It has an air fuel ratio gauge on the dash, as well as a spark timing adjuster knob. I'm just buying the car, so don't know a whole lot about the tuning yet. I'll be driving it home after buying it. I know it's a low compression 78-440 from a motor home.

The few cars originally Paxton equipped seemed to work fine on the highway (1957 Thunderbird, 60's Studebakers, 1972 Mr. Norm GSS Demon). As long as the blower oil is clean and up to level, I'd enjoy the benefits of boost and not worry about the conversion. Ensuring the drive belt isn't over tightened will help extend life too.

Just make sure there's enough oil and drive it. The carb should be calibrated for boost-referenced fuel curves. Best to leave it alone.

OK, the seller called Paxton this morning and they said the same thing. They're made to last. Also saw in the installation manual, there is an oil feed line that comes off the rear of the motor to feed oil to the it, then the oil drains back into the motor thru the fuel pump block off plate. Plus there is an oil reservoir on the blower itself? Sounds like they are well engineered, and should do well on a long road trip.

Ok, here a a few more of the motor, and one of the dash. Speedo looks like a 69 RR. IS THAT AN A BODY?
blower tube a.JPG
air filter a.JPG
Tach.JPG

Ummm the 1st pic of the duct going into the hat is correct....the second shows a flex line...That flex line I doubt will hold boost for very long. You need hard pipe and silicone boots.
On the intake side the same flex line could colapse due to the suction...
That flex line looks like its from a cold air induction set up, not for boosted applications...I could be wrong but I have never seen a flex line like that for your application...
A body's are Darts/Scamps/Duster ect

Agree with mike, 2nd and 3rd pic Set up will not last past 1/2 throttle

Ummm the 1st pic of the duct going into the hat is correct....the second shows a flex line...That flex line I doubt will hold boost for very long. You need hard pipe and silicone boots.
On the intake side the same flex line could colapse due to the suction...
That flex line looks like its from a cold air induction set up, not for boosted applications...I could be wrong but I have never seen a flex line like that for your application...
A body's are Darts/Scamps/Duster ect
The first pic is the current set up. He must have been doing some experimenting in the past............ I was just saying that
The Speedo looks just like a 69 RR speedometer. But this is a 70 Dart. Maybe Chrysler used up all the left over 69 RR Speedos on the 70 Dodge Dart. LOL. I like that design, where the indicator sweeps across the Speedo, left to right. Looks exactly like my 69 RR speedo.

Just for grins. I have 236K miles on my Eaton m62 supercharger. As long as you do the maintenance on them, they will go a long way.

Back in 57 the late great Les Ritchie had a 57 Ranchero with the blower
3 speed on the tree- busted his knuckles so we fixed that
then the Right rear went up is smoke so we showed him how to weight jack
looking for more speed we put on a dual 4bbl manifold and two of the small (back then) blower carbs
ran a long time before we got accused of cheating what the hell the dual quad with the Isky E4 came in the trunk from over the counter anyway
long story short
that Ranchero was on the street for Years after it quit racing Blown Fords were dependable giving oiling and oil changes
We started off with a stick shift Buick which was quick
there were 283 Fulie chevies which came out with the 4 speed (Tommy Ivo for one)
Buick would take the chevies- Ranchero would take either of us
Then we got the 57 Rambler Rebel- lighter- quicker great car- SPONSOR Ricker Motors in Whittier Hydrostick
57 was an exciting year- 58 everything changed
Do not be afraid to run the blower do some research on the hoses- there are hoses made for pressure/ intercoolers tc

Well that makes sense now. And I like that idea...... I Am now pretty set on shipping the car back to Colo rather than drive it. 1000 miles is a long drive, and I found a car hauler who will do it for $850

I don’t see any reason to disconnect the super charger in any way shape or form. I can even see a mileage increase with your “light foot” guiding the way.

Less fun, and more money! ARRRGGGG. Just having a hard time deciding which way to go. I would have to spend a night in Las Vegas if I drove. What Torture! That could get expensive! LOL. Just kidding, not a gambler in that sense. I'm just hoping the car would make it, without any probs. Driving it back seems like a gamble in itself. Appears to be in pretty good shape, and I guess there are FBBO buddies all across the country, so I could ask for help if I had a problem. The 440, 727 Auto, and the 8 3/4 rear end are quite reliable, though. Still thinking about it. :steering:

Auto Transport Service
Back