• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PC desktop, laptop, ipad, other?

Hemirunner

Local time
8:45 AM
Reaction score
I haven’t had a PC at home in years. Use my work laptop when I need a computer and usually my iPhone when surfing. I’d like to have something I can use for the random Word document or Excel spreadsheet or those websites with crapy mobile views. Should I get a laptop and use my 60” as a monitor? And what OS? So far on my new work laptop, Windows 10 blows....What are you using and why?

Still have an old desk top with 7 on it and another waiting in the closet with 8. Also have a shop laptop with 7. Still miss having XP Pro!! Best set up I've ever used until they quit offering support for it. Firefox on both the LT and DT

Anything new will have Windows 10. There is no way around that unless you buy a Mac, $$$. If you want to use the TV as a monitor make sure what you buy has a HDMI port so you can plug it in.

I run an iPad for most stuff online. The os just seems to run a ton better than windows. I will say it’s been a long time since I’ve been here on a windows machine.

Good luck

Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit on a Laptop with Google Chrome for me.
I hate using my phone to surf....only use it to remotely upload occasional photos here. Fat fingers tend to miss spelling mistakes, and we don't want to upset the spelling police any more than we need to. :)

The Mac stuff is just too expensive for no more than I’ll ever use it. Leaning towards a Microsoft OS laptop. Yeah I really liked XP.

The Mac stuff is just too expensive for no more than I’ll ever use it. Leaning towards a Microsoft OS laptop. Yeah I really liked XP.
A lot of people liked XP Pro including businesses. MS just wasn't selling enough 'new' crap so they gave us plenty of it and quit supporting XP

A lot of people liked XP Pro including businesses. MS just wasn't selling enough 'new' crap so they gave us plenty of it and quit supporting XP
Unfortunately that’s the MO of the tech companies.

I still used windows 7 on my desktops, but I do have a laptop with Windows 10 and a solid state drive, and it hauls ***, and works really well. By the way, if you don't like the look and feel of Windows 10, you can set it up to look like Win 7 with the start menu, task bar, explorer, etc! Im not real impressed with their new browser however.

Windows 10 and a solid state drive, and it hauls ***, and works really well.
I also upgraded my 8 year old laptop with a solid state drive a few years ago - the old mechanical one was getting so slow, the lappie would not even boot up. Runs well now....with no more whirring and clunking.

I still used windows 7 on my desktops, but I do have a laptop with Windows 10 and a solid state drive, and it hauls ***, and works really well. By the way, if you don't like the look and feel of Windows 10, you can set it up to look like Win 7 with the start menu, task bar, explorer, etc! Im not real impressed with their new browser however.
Thanks, I’ll look into that!

Samsung Note 9.
Love it.
X2
Went from the 2 to the 4 to the 8, and now the 9. I have the 8 as a backup, and I would still be using it, but when my wife HAD to move from her Note 2 because some key apps updated versions wouldn't work on the 2, Verizon offered me BOGO on the 9, so we got hers and mine was "free".
My data tools are critical for my one man small business.
I write Service Reports in an Excel format. Struggled with an Android based Samsung tablet for about 2 years. It used an Excel "adaptation" app. Tried the top of line Apple tablet but still, not an exact match for Excel.
My initial instinct was to use a Microsoft Surface tablet because DUHH it runs FULL OFFICE, so naturally Excel runs in it's full native state. I finally got the next to most expensive Surface Pro 4 (only 1 has more hard drive capacity). It's lightning fast and my workflow is seamless.
I use Windows 10 with no problems on my Surface 4 and desktop, but I really liked XP Pro too. Windows 8 sucked saggy nutsacks....

Ooof. I had one of their phones for a week. I thought it was very unintuitive. Is the laptop better?
Ive never used anything other than an android smartphone.
Its what I learned with so I stayed with one.
If you gave me an I-phone Id be clueless

@BeeKool
FYI, I have had years of great protection from the associated OtterBox DEFENDER cases for my Note phones. Same goes for my and my wife's 9.
I also use an OtterBox on my Surface 4 Pro, and I dropped it once, and the OtterBox did its job.
Highly recommended !

@BeeKool
FYI, I have had years of great protection from the associated OtterBox DEFENDER cases for my Note phones. Same goes for my and my wife's 9.
I also use an OtterBox on my Surface 4 Pro, and I dropped it once, and the OtterBox did its job.
Highly recommended !
I have an otterbox

If you end up getting a laptop or something with a keyboard make sure it has the number pad on the right side not just numbers on the top row. I never realized how useful it was having that until I didnt have it, I punch a lot of numbers in excel.

I'm getting ready to build a pretty solid desktop computer. If I were to buy it from a supplier it would be over 2200 for just the box. Going to be about $1250 for everything inside, win-hoes and the case. Going to drive 5 27" 4K monitors with it.

If you are messing around, get a nice laptop to mess with. Portable and they can run plenty of data. I run a 27" 4K monitor off mine to watch movies, etc. The 60" tv pixels may look strange unless it's a 4K or better. I tried the big TV with a charting program for stock trading and it was a mess. Just not real clear definition.

When I ordered a Dell for home/business back in 2004, I got some pretty trick cards. One I still use today in my current desktop is a 7.1 surround sound audio card. It actually has 7.1 analog outputs. Although I've never used that feature, I have used the coaxial digital output to a Klipsch 5.1 computer speaker system.
I also have a Blu-Ray DVD reader/writer drive...
Oh the things I could do if I only had the time. Slysoft provides the program, but I haven't even opened that program in years...
I also have an OPPO stand alone DVD player in the theater room that has a USB input that I can use to play High Resolution audio on. I've only downloaded one "album" and it sounded great on my gear, but once again, time is not my friend right now. My reciever will handle 192/24 audio, but I use the OPPO decoder and its 7.1 analog out.

Auto Transport Service
Back